Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-02-29 21:41:49

jim_01

[textile] textile image tag

If I have an image called LA.jpg under the category of article-images, then within textile I should be able to just enter:

!/article-images/LA.jpg!

However its not working and only allows the image to be seen if I enter

!/images/5.jpg!

Which is the direct folder and the image id.

Any ideas? Thanks!

(edited to show textile code. -Els)

Last edited by els (2008-03-01 00:34:19)

#2 2008-02-29 21:57:23

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [textile] textile image tag

Image categories are not used in URLs. You just need the path to where they are stored.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#3 2008-02-29 23:52:32

jim_01

Strange for some reason the code was cut from my post…

Anyway, so why can’t I refer the image as the actual name rather than the image ID? Are there any good plugins for inserting images into an article?

#4 2008-03-01 00:37:38

els

#5 2008-03-01 10:37:59

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

You can use the image name but not if you upload through the TXP admin tab. Using TXP changes the image file name to a number. The name that you see in the listing tab is really only there for reference so that you know what it is. You would need to FTP your images into place.

Last edited by thebombsite (2008-03-01 10:38:29)

Stuart

#6 2008-03-01 14:22:29

jim_01

That doesn’t seem like a particularly intuitive way to handle images. It’s would be much less confusing to just handle images by the name they were originally given.

#7 2008-03-01 14:50:56

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

It’s would be much less confusing to just handle images by the name they were originally given.

Ending up with multiple same named images. In example I don’t name my blog images any unique way, so, Textpattern’s system for image names is quite good for me. And not confusing at all, as you can easily see from the path that the image is beeing renamed. And also it makes replacing images simple, by looking the ID on write tabs image field.

#8 2008-03-02 04:20:31

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

That doesn’t seem like a particularly intuitive way to handle images. It’s would be much less confusing to just handle images by the name they were originally given.

I agree, but we’re dealing with legacy code in this instance, which wasn’t written particularly well. It’s on the to-do list.

#9 2008-03-02 08:12:35

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

jim_01:

Pro website developers out there please do correct me if i am wrong but wouldn’t this cause problems with duplicate image names? (that is the name of the document not the attribute). For most of us who have enough experience maintaining a website, I would indeed agree with you but I would think that those people who work with clients would have their phone ringing constantly. The number system assures unique image names and avoids the possibility of errors.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#10 2008-03-02 09:08:11

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote:

jim_01:

Pro website developers out there please do correct me if i am wrong but wouldn’t this cause problems with duplicate image names? (that is the name of the document not the attribute). For most of us who have enough experience maintaining a website, I would indeed agree with you but I would think that those people who work with clients would have their phone ringing constantly. The number system assures unique image names and avoids the possibility of errors.

so either warn on upload or automatically append suffix numbers to file names when a file name already exists. much better than just having everything named 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg etc etc. the numbering system is hardly a good recommendation/remedy against duplicate file names.

the overall image handling done in txp definitely needs a massive overhaul. theres no way to even assign multiple categories to images or even do mass category-change edits like you can with articles. all of this stuff has been requested over and over but you’re unlikely to see any of these changes soon.

Last edited by iblastoff (2008-03-02 09:10:52)

#11 2008-03-02 10:22:51

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

And because I like to throw big spanners in the works I thought I should say that I happen to like the numbering system. It’s simple. It keeps tags nice and short instead of having long-winded, esoteric image naming conventions. The image tab even gives you a tag-builder just in case it might be TOO simple for you. If you want to use image names then you can. Just FTP your images into place and use the standard img tag. What’s wrong with that? Let’s be frank about this. If it were a major problem with users we would get a damn sight more posts about it than we do. I sometimes get the impression that designers and developers take pride in making things too complicated for normal people so let’s not go changing something that is very simple and easy to use just for the sake of the few.

Stuart

#12 2008-03-02 10:46:21

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:

And because I like to throw big spanners in the works I thought I should say that I happen to like the numbering system. It’s simple. It keeps tags nice and short instead of having long-winded, esoteric image naming conventions. The image tab even gives you a tag-builder just in case it might be TOO simple for you. If you want to use image names then you can. Just FTP your images into place and use the standard img tag. What’s wrong with that? Let’s be frank about this. If it were a major problem with users we would get a damn sight more posts about it than we do. I sometimes get the impression that designers and developers take pride in making things too complicated for normal people so let’s not go changing something that is very simple and easy to use just for the sake of the few.

if you choose the ftp-only root then you lose article image functionality and thus the benefit of most image-related plugins available. thats hardly a viable alternative. i’ve definitely come across multitudes of image-related threads (ones that have gone past a few complaining comments to 20-30+ pages and onwards to design mockups, comparisons to other cms’s methods of image management, etc etc all which sadly have not produced anything). so i’d say its definitely an issue thats beyond the ‘sake of the few’.

even the limitation of one image thumbnail + one ‘normal’ sized image screams for a change when many other modern cms’s out there (typolight, symphony, etc etc) can generate multiple images at any sizes you want from a single image.

i don’t consider actual file names to be ‘long-winded’ or ‘esoteric’. if anything, arbitrarily renaming a file akin to mysql-related auto-incrementing unique primary key values is much more esoteric then ‘my_dog_fluffy.jpg’. either way, as mary pointed out, i’m glad this is on the ‘to-do list’!

Last edited by iblastoff (2008-03-02 15:08:03)

Board footer