Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2008-02-02 16:37:02

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [wiki] Help Needed - Moving off MediaWiki

Hi,

Patrick and I agreed to cooperate on the move to DokuWiki. We didn’t see the need to duplicate work and the more pitching in, the faster the move can happen.

I’ve already started moving the txp:tags over to Doku. We’ve been playing with tag page layout and navigation to get a feel for things, check out the table of contents on the left hand sidebar when viewing the txp:article page. When I have the tags namespace done, which is about 130 pages, I’ll zip it up and email it to Patrick.

Whoever wants to pitch in, could do so on your own Textpattern DokuWiki install. Then whatever I care to move over to xPattern, I’ll do so by doing a Show Pagesource and copy/pasting to our wiki. Which is the mechanism we could use after both wikis are setup and new content is added, share and share alike.

I’m just happy you’ve all decided to move away from MediaWiki, I think this heralds a new era in TxP docs.

Peace.

Last edited by hcgtv (2008-02-02 16:45:45)

#26 2008-02-02 16:37:21

els

maverick wrote:

I will help out however Team Textpattern would like to see Textbook evolve. I don’t see value in revising the user manual and creating tension with our own development team in the process.

Bottom line: I don’t care if we stay with MediaWiki (agreeing it can be clunky), use DocuWiki, move it “in-house” to Textpattern, or do something else all together. Whatever best accomplishes the purpose of having an up-to-date, quality user’s manual.

This is exactly what I meant. Mike is just stating it way more comprehensible :)

#27 2008-02-02 17:46:00

hakjoon
Website

ruud wrote:
What I’m wondering if this move from MediaWiki to something else is for Textpattern or for Xpattern. Does Textpattern stay at MediaWiki and does Xpattern go to DokuWiki… or what’s the plan?

Just to clarify the move from MediaWiki has nothing to with xPattern. There is a consistent thread of community members being unhappy with MediaWiki, the most recent one being jm’s I have not been to happy with MediaWiki either. Are a pain, they come out way too often, and they always break something which requires about a week of googling to find a solution. If Textpattern is probably the best upgrading experience I ahve encountered MediaWiki is the exact opposite.

The recent login issues with the server move are also very troublesome as no one can fogure out why it happens. The recent outage motivated me more seriously looking at moving off MW. DokuWiki seemed like a good in between, it can support textile has nicer organization options then MW and has an experimental PunBB auth scheme, so we could eventually hopefully remove the need for multiple accounts.

Bert working on moving the docs was totally unplanned on my part, but we talked about it on IRC and I appreciate the help. It will save me from having to convert the same files again later.

The MW version of Textbook will of course stay around until we get all this working (now that we can log in again I want to work on a converter). If people feel a big urge to stay with MediaWiki I really don’t want to keep maintaining it (I honestly don’t have time or desire to fight with MW) so someone else will have to take on those duties.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#28 2008-02-04 06:17:51

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I have the impression, however, that many people don’t view Textbook and Textpattern Resources as “official” and part of Textpattern proper.

That’s up to Mary, Ruud and Wet. They are on the same box I believe.

Well, they technically aren’t. I have a TextBook account (and I believe the other core devs as well), but I’m not the only one that can edit information there. There could easily be inaccurate information there, and from time to time there has been, until it was brought to attention and corrected by someone who knew better. That’s just the reality of having documentation created and maintained by users. The alternative is having something “official” but waiting until the “officials” have time to write it all and maintain it. Don’t hold your breath. :D

Yes, they are both on the same box, though under different accounts – I don’t have any access to TextBook, etc, and they don’t have access to the main account. Now, I think I could create a virtual sub-domain and FTP accounts, etc for TextBook (and txp.org? plugins.textpattern.com?), but if we want “proper” sub-domains, I think we have to involve Filip.

Related to this, see my third idea here.

Also from a branding standpoint, just as important is more tightly integrating the design between textpattern.com and Textbook.

To my knowledge, TextBook hasn’t been interested in matching txp.com, and I’m certainly not interested in the main Txp site matching TextBook’s current brown scheme (though I hope a re-design would happen with the migration in any case). That’s not to say I’m not interested in such a thing. I like the idea of something minimal, and easy to read. Re-designing txp.com is on my list, but since it’s still functional it hasn’t been a top priority.

Board footer