Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-01-31 22:52:42

hakjoon
Website

Re: [wiki] Help Needed - Moving off MediaWiki

That’s actually one thing I like about DokuWiki. It has a lot more automagic navigation stuff. I still need to read up on it some to figure how best to structure stuff.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#14 2008-02-01 07:51:38

FireFusion

Is it going on a subdomain of Textpattern.com this time?

#15 2008-02-01 16:00:33

maverick
Website

FireFusion wrote:

Is it going on a subdomain of Textpattern.com this time?

Pragmatically the current arrangement between Textpattern.com, Textbook.textpattern.net, and Textpattern.org is completely functional. I have the impression, however, that many people don’t view Textbook and Textpattern Resources as “official” and part of Textpattern proper.

From a branding/PR standpoint, there is merit in moving Textbook so it is hosted as a subdomain of Textpattern.com (and having its current URL mirroring the subdomain for those looking for it). Also from a branding standpoint, just as important is more tightly integrating the design between textpattern.com and Textbook.

Fwiw, one of the people I provide tech support for noted that Textbook sometimes can still be over the head of newcomers. I’ve tried to look at it from his point of view, and I think he has a point. Some parts of Textbook are technically useful, but not newcomer friendly. Now might be a good time to note what could be more clearly explained.

Mike

#16 2008-02-01 16:50:52

hakjoon
Website

FireFusion wrote:
Is it going on a subdomain of Textpattern.com this time

That’s up to Mary, Ruud and Wet. They are on the same box I believe.

#17 2008-02-01 16:51:50

hakjoon
Website

maverick wrote:
Fwiw, one of the people I provide tech support for noted that Textbook sometimes can still be over the head of newcomers. I’ve tried to look at it from his point of view, and I think he has a point. Some parts of Textbook are technically useful, but not newcomer friendly. Now might be a good time to note what could be more clearly explained.

Textbook is still purely volunteer. Anything in it can be changed at any time. Someone just needs to do it :)

#18 2008-02-01 17:20:31

maverick
Website

hakjoon wrote:

Textbook is still purely volunteer. Anything in it can be changed at any time. Someone just needs to do it :)

:D — I know, I know – if I see the problem, I should have already done something about it. :D

I didn’t mean it as a criticism or a demand. I thought I’d add the feedback for the sake of awareness while the big change is taking place. It seems like a good time to be thinking about it. :)

Mike

#19 2008-02-01 18:39:01

els

Seeing that the xPats are also moving content from Textbook to Dokuwiki, wouldn’t it be possible to collaborate in one way or another? Seems a waste to do everything twice ;)

#20 2008-02-01 22:15:50

maverick
Website

Els wrote:

Seeing that the xPats are also moving content from Textbook to Dokuwiki, wouldn’t it be possible to collaborate in one way or another? Seems a waste to do everything twice ;)

I’ve been wondering the same thing, but wasn’t sure if it was safe to ask ;-)

Mike

#21 2008-02-01 22:20:24

hakjoon
Website

:D — I know, I know – if I see the problem, I should have already done something about it. :D

I didn’t mean it as a criticism or a demand. I thought I’d add the feedback for the sake of awareness while the big change is taking place. It seems like a good time to be thinking about it. :)

No offense taken. Just wanted to make sure that was out there, in case new people are jumping on or something.

Bert and I are in contact about that. We will definitely be sharing the work.

#22 2008-02-02 09:29:59

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

What I’m wondering if this move from MediaWiki to something else is for Textpattern or for Xpattern. Does Textpattern stay at MediaWiki and does Xpattern go to DokuWiki… or what’s the plan?

#23 2008-02-02 15:14:42

els

What I assumed is that xPattern is moving the Textbook content to DokuWiki to afterwards adapt it to their own needs. And Textpattern will have it’s own DokuWiki docs since plans for moving it out of MediaWiki have existed for a longer time. Did I misinterpret Hakjoon’s post?

Last edited by els (2008-02-02 15:17:31)

#24 2008-02-02 16:09:07

maverick
Website

I offered to help update Textpattern’s user manual.

My comment to Els question was based on the fact that at the moment the proposal put forth is to move Textbook to DocuWiki, and the xPattern group is currently moving the same content to DocuWiki. Since that is the case, it seems advantageous from a labor standpoint to avoid duplicate efforts. Once transferred, each group can continue however they wish.

I was hesitant to suggest it because I don’t haven’t gotten a clear sense of the political climate between Team Textpattern and the leaders of the fork. There are suggestions of collaboration and suggestions of tension. For the purposes of this discussion, I don’t need or want to know. I will help out however Team Textpattern would like to see Textbook evolve. I don’t see value in revising the user manual and creating tension with our own development team in the process.

Bottom line: I don’t care if we stay with MediaWiki (agreeing it can be clunky), use DocuWiki, move it “in-house” to Textpattern, or do something else all together. Whatever best accomplishes the purpose of having an up-to-date, quality user’s manual.

Board footer