Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-01-11 15:44:26

KI

Collapse section options

My finger gets tired. Seems like the idea opportunity for a jQuery accordion. So instead of…

Section 1
# Section name
# Section title
# Use pages
# etc
Section 2
# Section name
# Section title
# Use pages
# etc
Section 3
# Section name
# Section title
# Use pages
# etc
Section 4
# Section name
# Section title
# Use pages
# etc

We’d get…

Section 1
# Section name
# Section title
# Use pages
# etc
Section 2
Section 3
Section 4

#2 2008-01-11 16:19:32

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: Collapse section options

In “Crockery” the layout for Sections has been changed so now you get:-

Section 1 # Section name # Section title # Use pages # etc
Section 2 # Section name # Section title # Use pages # etc
Section 3 # Section name # Section title # Use pages # etc
Section 4 # Section name # Section title # Use pages # etc

which is much better and doesn’t require an “accordian” which means you can still see everything. I doubt this is likely to appear in TXP before v4.1.0

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#3 2008-01-11 18:03:08

maverick
Website

KI

I had thought the same thing until I saw Crockery’s new layout that Stuart mentions.

I’m not sure its visually “pretty” (its a table), but is very functional and a nice improvement. There would be a slight benefit to the accordion style only in that you only show the info you want rather than having everything on the screen. You’d probably still want an option to show all, however. That is useful at times.

I wish we could make changes to multiple sections and save them all at once instead of section by section. Let’s say I want to change multiple sections over to a new style sheet for some reason. :D Its slow to have to save a section, wait to reload, make the next changes, save/reload, etc.

However, there is an easy enough if not elegant work around: I make all the changes to all the sections, and then simply control-click the save button (opens in a new tab) on all the sections I have changed. I close the extra tabs and and am ready to go. It is slightly faster.

Mike

Last edited by maverick (2008-01-11 18:05:43)

#4 2008-01-11 19:42:09

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I agree about changing multiple sections Mike though now that they’ve stopped the page jumping to the top when you save it is a little easier.

Stuart

#5 2008-01-11 19:49:56

redbot
Plugin Author

maverick wrote:

I make all the changes to all the sections, and then simply control-click the save button (opens in a new tab) on all the sections I have changed. I close the extra tabs and and am ready to go. It is slightly faster.

Brilliant, thanks!

#6 2008-01-11 20:03:48

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

well i started a plugin to do exactly this…(accordion effect on sections) but working with all of those tables is a pain in the ass.

#7 2008-01-11 20:26:51

masa

iblastoff wrote:

well i started a plugin to do exactly this…(accordion effect on sections) but working with all of those tables is a pain in the ass.

Steve, you’re very prolific!
Imagine, back in 1998 tables were the only thing to save our ass ;-)

Now if we could get collapsible sections/categories for articles-/images listings in the admin interface, too…

#8 2008-01-11 22:53:32

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Does everything have to be collapsible? The listing pages allow you to determine how many items per page you wish to view. I’m getting the impression that everyone just likes to play with javascript whether it is necessary or not! If we keep on like this our lovely, light, clean Textpattern is going to end up as a bloated old fart like WordPress and one or two other CMS I could mention.

Stuart

#9 2008-01-11 23:04:50

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:

Does everything have to be collapsible? The listing pages allow you to determine how many items per page you wish to view. I’m getting the impression that everyone just likes to play with javascript whether it is necessary or not! If we keep on like this our lovely, light, clean Textpattern is going to end up as a bloated old fart like WordPress and one or two other CMS I could mention.

they’re not necessary. but for some people its much more convenient. hence these are plugins and not in core! either way after further playing around i don’t even think the accordion effect could even work on the section page. having a hell of a time actually being able to target anything via the dom with stupid tables.

Last edited by iblastoff (2008-01-11 23:05:36)

#10 2008-01-11 23:26:36

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

As a plug-in I have no problem. As for the tables I think the latest crockery is probably the first step on a long road.

Stuart

#11 2008-01-11 23:32:28

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

iblastoff wrote:

having a hell of a time actually being able to target anything via the dom with stupid tables.

Wouldn’t that suffice to have a target hook at individual sections: $("table#list>tbody>tr").click(function(){alert ('Huh?');});?

#12 2008-01-11 23:35:14

FireFusion

Could be something elegant like the show detail check used for the article list. I agree that the images page also needs something.

Last edited by FireFusion (2008-01-11 23:49:46)

Board footer