Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-07-07 07:36:16

jadehouse

Hosting Guidance?

Could some of you share your experiences with different dedicated hosting companies? (Leasing, not colocation.)

We’ve decided it’s time to upgrade… and colocation is something that sounds like too much of a pain in the ass (not to mention expensive), so we figured we’d lease a dedicated and see how it goes.

There is an endless amount of options, though. We’ve been using a MediaTemple dedicated virtual, but it’s really slow at times, and their support has been complete crap. I was looking at this: http://www.layeredtech.com/dedicated-servers/business.php and this: http://www.burtonhosting.com/dedicated-servers/ , preferably the Dual Xeons.

$200/$300 a month seems really cheap compared to what the majority of companies charge a month for the same thing, however. But then to buy one is only about $2,000, so I suppose the more expensive leases are just a complete rip. I guess this is just what we have to deal with if we’re going to lease.

Anyways, I’d really appreciate some advice from someone who has gone through this. I’d also like guidance as to how to handle security/hardening. Is it necessary to pay a part-time admin to “lock up”? Myself and my partner are a designer/developer team, we have literally no experience in administration (at least not beyond basic Linux knowledge).

Thanks all.

#2 2007-07-07 09:31:06

Jeremie
Website

Re: Hosting Guidance?

If you have no experience, skills, knowledge and crafts on server administration… you will need to learn, and fast. And be prepare to dedicate some serious time on it.

Mostly because if you buy/rent a server, you a liable for that server. If it’s turn into a zombie spammer, ddos node, or the like, you will be responsible… morally, networkly, and legally.

And yes, it’s a profession. You will need to know what to install, how to configure it, how to compile it, how to patch, when and where to patch… it’s a time sucker, and it ain’t easy. I would strongly advise get a “toy server” to play with for at least several weeks (with your personal blogs, websites, everything but the critical ones) and see how it goes. Then move (or not).

And yes, having a real professional making the initial setup, writing you a flight check list, and having him on call when things go south… it will helps. But it ain’t cheap.

That’s all the reason why I still prefer shared hosting myself. Don’t listen to the hoster wanabee that will explain to you that shared mean slow, low quality, low performance. I have a middle shared plan at a good host, I pay around 20€ a month, and every one of the services (smtp, pop, http, php, etc.) is clustered in the dozens, hundreds for some, server. When a server goes down, I nor my visitors sees it. And to compare with other “hype hosts”, the availability, speed and reliability of such a plan is incredible.

As for price, it really depends on what you got. Better go with someone with a huge rep, and already several hundreds dedicated server rented. If not, you’ll probably end in a dump garage somewhere, or on a poor rack in a third tier datacenter. The host I use has starting dedicated server for 70€ a month (Intel 6300, 1gb, 2×80gb sata raid soft, 100mb unmetered), and that’s delivering… if you really need something bigger, to take the example I know it can scale up to 600€ a month (bi Xeon dual core 2.66ghz, 6gb, 5×750gb sata raid 5 hard, 2×100mb unmetered) .

Board footer