Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-06-13 10:00:34

FireFusion

[contrib] Any one interested in helping make some video tutorials?

I’ve found an excellent freeware application called Wink
It’s dead easy to use just give it five minutes. The advantage of them is they’re small in file size and very easy to edit/translate.

I’m making some free tutorials for a non-profit I do volunteer work for; they want to use Textpattern for a lot of sites. I was thinking about releasing these to the Textpattern community and then I thought it would be best to ask if anyone wants to help make them. That way we could get a far more comprehensive set of tutorials and it’s less work per head. If they’re good they could be featured here on Textpattern.com

We just need to deicide how they should be broken down and who is doing what.

Anyone interested?

Even if you only do one tutorial that will help a lot.

#2 2007-06-13 11:36:37

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: [contrib] Any one interested in helping make some video tutorials?

maybe it’s worth teaming up with walker and txp manual ? His are written but I think whether it’s a video or written is a secondary aspect.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2007-06-14 09:46:25

root

Sounds like a great idea :D I’ve yet to try Wink, but I’ve been testing other (Linux-compatible) screencast software. I’m planning on making a general, web-related screencast. I’d be pretty interested in helping in this too, though I’m not sure if I can commit. School work and all that. But I’ll do what I can. :D

#4 2007-06-14 10:51:57

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Video-tutorials are a good way for beginners to learn. And fortunately it has gotten easier to make them as well. THere is also a browser-based screencast-generator called:
http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/
which uses java-applets. The result can apparently be converted to .mov format as well. I haven’t tried it myself, but I’ve heard positive stuff about it.

Creating screencasts is a lot more work than it looks like, so my hats off to anybody investing the time to do so. :)

#5 2007-06-14 11:10:33

FireFusion

I agree. I’ve made screencasts in the past and it is more work then it looks. Thanks for pointing out that browser based one. I do have actually have Camtasia but my laptop is so crap they loss sync halfway through.

Root, don’t worry about committing to anything, this just a topic for anyone who feels they could help in any small way.

I will have make these anyway but I doubt i’ll have time for a little while anyway.

#6 2007-06-14 11:14:34

FireFusion

Don’t know if anyone has seen these but something like this shouldn’t be too bad…

http://expressionengine.com/tutorials

Just a few videos to get people into the basics

#7 2007-06-14 11:37:17

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

The first I’ve seen it done was for Typo3, back in 2003. Creating screencasts and distributing video sure has come a long way…

#8 2007-06-24 20:30:20

milkshake
Website

There’s some interesting stuff going on over at the Drupal Dojo

They have a meetup over VNC/Skype/IRC every week, with different mentors screencasting introductory lessons on aspects of Drupal. I’ve taken part in one and it’s a great way to learn since you can ask questions as they go. The logs are then edited and feed back into the docs/wiki

The Drupal community works amazingly well, I just wish Drupal itself wasn’t such a pain to work with! ;)

(edit: seems we have an irc channel already – #textpattern on irc.freenode.net, now all we need is a VNC server :)

Last edited by milkshake (2007-06-24 20:48:18)

#9 2007-06-28 10:59:31

FireFusion

For anyone who doesn’t like Wink there is also the opensource CamStudio, which is very good! Full video and sound.

CamStudio
Best Video Codec

#10 2007-06-28 13:53:37

alexandra

I produced 4 videos on TXP with Captivate. It´s a lot of work though Captivate is very easy to learn und use. I can add any mp3 files i like to the videos which means: someone native english speaker can record an mp3 file and i add it to my videos.
Taking screencasts is a lot of fun though a bit tiering.

#11 2007-06-28 17:39:53

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I’ve been wanting to do it for ages now, but there’s always something else that has to be done first.

Hopefully we’ll get some more volunteers to help out in this area (video tutorials or just tutorials in general). Maybe a couple people could team up and split the work amongst themselves, or something.

Last edited by Mary (2007-06-28 17:40:06)

#12 2007-06-28 18:02:32

FireFusion

I think if we able to just a few quick introduction videos that get users over the initial hump. Get them used to the concepts and language. These could be really short (under 6 mins each).

Installing Textpattern
Introduction to Textile and writing articles
Introduction to pages and forms
Installing/Using Plugins

lynda.com has sample videos that are good for inspiration.

Board footer