Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-05-23 14:02:08

Bastian
Plugin Author
Website

samisdat 2.0 - I need some helping hand

samisdat 2.0

This page is not finished, but after hours and hours of testing I`m up to an point where I need some help.
I`m on Win XP and tested it with Firefox 2.0, Opera 9 and IE 7.

It seems to work, but i`m quite not sure…

Would be very nice, if you can have a look and play a little.

While the things that i want you to test are some AJAX FX its hard to post a screenshot, but perhaps you can tell me whats happen when you:

Start here http://samisdat.org
Or here http://samisdat.org/#/browser-support

Please try the live comments

Is there any difference? Do you see some loading FX? What browser an OS do you use?

I`m looking forward for your feedback!

#2 2007-05-23 18:19:52

alexandra

Re: samisdat 2.0 - I need some helping hand

Bastian, i tested samisdat2.0 in Opera 9 and FF2 on WinXP and i did not experience any differences. So everything seems identical. I commented and tested the preview which works fine. All the AJAX stuff runs pretty smooth on my PC.

(ich finde die seite ist richtig schön! nur komisch sind die Wölkchen, die ihr in Wuppertal habt. die sind ja wirklich plüschig :))

#3 2007-05-23 19:14:42

zero
Website

Beautiful colours, Bastian! I’ve only looked at the main page which works fine in Opera 8.5 and firefox 2.0 but breaks in IE6. Here’s a (compressed) screenshot

In browser support, I see this in Opera 8.5

Live comments work OK in Firefox. I can’t even find then in Opera! They work OK in IE6.

The Feedback link in the Feedback box does not work in FF or Opera. But it works fine in IE6!

OK, back to the football match…

Opera 8.5 – I checked again and basically the only link that works is the one to turn Ajax off. When i turn Ajax off, the feedback link works.

Last edited by zero (2007-05-23 21:20:51)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#4 2007-05-24 20:49:32

Bastian
Plugin Author
Website

THX Alex and zero!!!

All the AJAX stuff runs pretty smooth on my PC.

Good to hear…

but breaks in IE6

No, it don`t break in IE6! IE6 breaks it. I know how to fix IE’s PNG problems, but i don`t fix it.
I don’t have a IE 6 and while samisdat is my leisure time project, i`m not willing to spend a single minute to fix a browser that sucks!

Live comments work OK in Firefox.

Good

I can’t even find then in Opera!

Bad

When i turn Ajax off, the feedback link works.

As long as this fallback works, i`m pretty sure that i can bring the other stuff to work..

Your feedback shows me, that this AJAX stuff needs some more attention.
Maybe i should change the sequence:

By default the fallback and on demand the AJAX stuff.

#5 2007-05-24 21:34:48

zero
Website

Bastian wrote:
bq.I don’t have a IE 6 and while samisdat is my leisure time project, i`m not willing to spend a single minute to fix a browser that sucks!

I’m sure most everyone feels the same way! But while IE6 is still the most used browser we have to work round it or lose visitors :-( I don’t know if you saw this thread There’s a link by Mary on there to follow.

I don’t know any javascript or ajax but I’ve noticed plenty of sites lately that don’t work right when using js or ajax. Stylegala’s last few, some on other gallery sites, some on this forum all have navigation problems when people try and do sexy things with them. Not just IE6 but Opera 8.5. Even FF2 occasionally. I stick with Opera 8.5 because I get fed up of always upgrading for no real advantage, plus many other people don’t always keep up to date so I am coding for them more than the technical-leading-edge types.

Like you say, this ajax stuff needs some more attention. The galleries are praising ajax sites to high heaven even though they don’t work properly :-(

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#6 2007-05-24 22:31:41

squaredeye
Website

Bastian, sent my comments through your feedback form.

Board footer