Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-05-08 22:58:42

voiceofra
Website

[request] Define excerpt from within body text...

If this is in the wrong place or has already been addressed, or a plugin exists that fits what I’m looking for, somebody kindly point me in the right direction (a forum search and search of other TXP resources turned up nothing. But it’s all in the words you use in the search).
All the plugins I’ve found dealing with excerpts handle it from within the forms themselves, which is not what I want.
I use an external editor to write my posts and prefer to have complete control over when and where the excerpt begins – a set number of words/paragraphs (as is how the exisiting plugins handle excerpts) isn’t sufficient control.

Other blogging tools offer something like:

<!--more-->

to define the excerpt/extended entry breakpoint.
I miss this and would LOVE to have the functionality in Textpattern.

Heck, if it’s a matter of hacking some of the Textpattern code…show me where and I’ll do it myself.

#2 2007-05-08 23:43:56

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: [request] Define excerpt from within body text...

…prefer to have complete control over when and where the excerpt begins…

So you can’t/don’t want to use the excerpt field as it normally works?

#3 2007-05-08 23:54:51

voiceofra
Website

Mary wrote:

bq. …prefer to have complete control over when and where the excerpt begins…
So you can’t/don’t want to use the excerpt field as it normally works?

I’m using an external (stand alone) editor, not the Textpattern browser interface.
I’m not always on line, but always coding of some nature & writing blog posts and an external editor gives me that flexibility.

Last edited by voiceofra (2007-05-08 23:59:44)

#4 2007-05-09 00:03:18

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

So, from this editor, how do you enter custom fields, categories and so on? You just don’t make use of them?

This kind of a plugin is most definitely possible, and simple, if you don’t care what happens in your feeds. If you do, that makes it somewhat more involved.

#5 2007-05-09 01:00:07

voiceofra
Website

Mary wrote:

So, from this editor, how do you enter custom fields, categories and so on? You just don’t make use of them?

This kind of a plugin is most definitely possible, and simple, if you don’t care what happens in your feeds. If you do, that makes it somewhat more involved.

keywords, title, categories etc are already “predefined” and handled by the editor’s xmlrpc capabilities
Since I can’t seem to present images in the forum, here’s a direct linke to a screencap of the editor and fields:
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6313/screenshot0705081751251ai9.jpg

Board footer