Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-05-02 08:07:21

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

bluebottle

I have recently received the following email which I stupidly verified. I’m not certain what the content of the ‘email’ was but i’d like to say that if anybody receives anything from bluebottle or my address it is definitely not from me .
The reason I clicked on the link was because of the subject which was the one I used in a recent post in the txd forum.

Your message was received at Wed, 02 May 2007 06:39:46 +0000:

Subject: Re: textdrive and open source projects profit sharing

This account is protected by Bluebottle. Please click on the
following link to have your address added to the recipient’s allowed
list and to ensure delivery of your email.

http://www.bluebottle.com/verification/######

I only wrote 2 emails which have any relevance to the above and they were directed to Mary and zero

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2007-05-02 17:51:51

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: bluebottle

That’s kinda weird.

#3 2007-05-02 18:12:09

zero
Website

OK, I answered the duplicate of this on Textdrive forum here so now everyone knows I have a bluebottle account. Thanks for not revealing my user name because I am hoping to keep it completely spam and nutter free.

I changed ISP when getting broadband and although websurfing is great, their email system sucks. It takes between 8 and 12 hours for emails to come through their spam filters. They are the largest broadband provider in the uk, so I guess that’s the reason. They use Ironport spam filtering and it seems to work just great except for the time it takes.

Consequently I have been looking at receiving email via online services and found bluebottle.com which uses this challenge-response system. I like the challenge-response idea but it annoys people, and it’s awkward with regard to using forwarding addresses, as colak has discovered.

Is there a great web mail system that anyone here recommends?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#4 2007-05-02 18:21:05

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Hmm. I just use a Gmail account. Great spam filter it’s got and fairly fast and reliable.

#5 2007-05-02 18:36:13

zero
Website

I don’t like the idea of big brother Google knowing my email habits as well as my surfing habits. Yes, I tend towards paranoia! Anyone know a good system which is definitely not out to get me?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#6 2007-05-02 19:47:54

marios
Archived Plugin Author

I use mostly IMAP on SSL now. Using POP3 of an ISP account is nothing, that would work anymore. If I wanted to use them, then the result is ( veryfied and tested ), that many incoming mails ( which are expected and not spam ) would get bounced back ( which is then hard to find out ).

The reason for this is, that here in Greece, there is not a single ISP, that has SMTP auth available. The result then is, that I get listed, since my mail does not comply with the policy of spamhouse, etc.

I don’t know yet exactly how it works, but I think that IP ranges from mail Servers, that can not authenticate are getting listed from time to time, with the result described above.

I also use Gmail.

If you have a healthy amount of paranoia and are fond of privacy, then consider may be to get a freemail certificate from Thawte and get that verified by a WOT representative, so you can digitally sign and encrypt sensitive mails ( using S-mime)

If you don’t trust in anybody, except yourself, then get GnuPG and set it up accordingly for both encryption and digital signatures.

Or even better, get all of the above .

The Joyent connecter BTW is a decent webmail client ( I use it )

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-05-03 00:27:35)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#7 2007-05-02 21:54:53

zero
Website

That’s a lot of new things for me to research, marios! Re IMAP, I understand I can interact with my mail on the remote server. But there’s still the same problem of 8 to 12 hours of IronPort filtering before it arrives on the server. I can already read what has already arrived on the server by webmail. So it doesn’t seem much different. However, I don’t understand it properly so will have to read more about it.

You use gmail too, as many people do. I guess a non-google version of gmail, and not yahoo or microsoft either, might be what I am looking for.

Re Joyent Connector, I already find Webmin far to slow and clunky for all practical purposes of reading email online, so I don’t expect connector to be much different. In other words, secure pages usually take at least a minute a page to load on txd, even with broadband. How fast is connector?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#8 2007-05-03 00:40:51

marios
Archived Plugin Author

You will have to log into webmin only once, to set up a couple of Users, for your domain. ( And the connector forwarding address ) It doesn’t take more than 5 minutes. that’s all.
Then all the rest get’s done in your mail client and inside the connector and your joyent domain. IMAP back and FORTH.

You can also point all your e-mail addresses at your joyent connector, and organize everything fromwithin there. ( It’s really quite usefull . I havent explored all the features yet.) and it plays well with mail.app)

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-05-03 00:41:29)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#9 2007-05-03 12:02:14

zero
Website

Sounds good, marios, but I just found out it costs money. I am looking for something free.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#10 2007-05-03 18:20:35

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Ok. just use IMAP on your hosting account, then ( which is hopefully TextDrive, I assume ).
Here is what you do, it’s really simple:

1. login to your webminaccount
  2. Go to Virtualmin Virtual Servers
  3. Click on the domain name you want to use with your email
  4. Now click onto the second select button, which says:
    Edit mail and FTP Users
  5. Now, click on the top link that says: Add a User to this domain
  6. Choose a Name and a password for your account ( make it long, 30 digits, no dictionary words and don’t forget to keep it aside somewhere.
  7. In the first box, you see your domain name appended, enter a Username, that you would like to use, e.g.: mehere
  8. Leave all the default options as is ( You won’t need them anyway), except the mail quota, where you enter a decent mail quota size: e.g: 200000 kb
  9. click on Create.

Voila, we are done, easy peasy webminning example, so let’s get a h’ out of here.

Now for your mail client:

Follow these instrutions over here

test.

done.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-05-03 18:31:56)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#11 2007-05-04 11:07:09

zero
Website

Aaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!! It was right under my nose all the time! I already had users and mailboxes set up on textdrive, but I had always forwarded everything to my ISP (and recently to bluebottle). So I just had never even thought of getting email direct from textdrive. So all I had to do was remove the forwarding and set up IMAP on Eudora. It was simple enough but I now need some fine tuning – Eudora has lots of settings I’ve never used and there’s lots more articles in the txd knowledgebase about email that I will have to investigate.

I’ve left my most spammy email address forwarded to my ISP. So far it has done a great job of removing spam, except for the time delay. But things are looking up because I have noticed that there has been no time delay in the last couple of days, so perhaps they’ve fixed something.

I am also trying out inbox.com as a replacement for bluebottle.com, forwarding a moderately spammy address to it.

Thank you very much, marios, you’ve been most helpful! I owe you one.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer