Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-04-23 22:50:20

goncalo.dumas
Website

Coda anyone?

Saw this at Jon Hicks’s journal: http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/coda
I’m still trying to figure how to manage a txp site with it, but it sounds promising!

http://www.panic.com/coda/

#2 2007-04-24 00:46:48

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Coda anyone?

It certainly looks cool, but I’m not sure it’s worth it. I use TextMate and Cocoamysql to edit Textpattern templates (and Cyberduck for ftp, Terminal for downloading and managing), so I can see how it’d streamline one’s workflow to use one app. Then again, the all-in-one approach in GoLive and Dreamweaver was always frustrating.

#3 2007-04-24 11:04:40

marios
Archived Plugin Author

I don’t see anything, that I can not do right now from within TextMate.

The thing is, with TextMate, I can do Everything I ever wanted. That is one reason why I wrote my own Bundle.

This sort of looks to me like yet another TextMate cloning Idea, but unfortunately without the freedom to choose and custumize everything they way you like it and need it.

Everyone has individual and specific needs, and those might differ from case to case.

Untile Leopard comes round the corner ( And thereafter TM v2 sometime ), this might be less interesting.

That doesn’t mean that Panic isn’t great.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-04-24 18:11:42)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#4 2007-04-24 14:45:14

EddieG5

It’s not so much what it can do, but how it does it. Gruber, as usual, gives a good overview on why Coda is pretty kick-ass:

http://daringfireball.net/2007/04/coda

#5 2007-04-25 06:46:10

Joey

It looks nice, but I don’t know if it can be used to manage TXP templates e.g. I will give it a try.

Regards,

Joey

#6 2007-04-25 07:43:59

jm
Plugin Author
Website

[…] I could have tabs with web-based admin panels and remote site. I click my thumbnail for The Forgiveness Project and immediately have everything I need to work on it – the local CSS, the remote Texpattern admin interface and the site itself.

It’s not the same as managing the TXP templates in Cocoamysql (like editing real template files).

#7 2007-04-27 14:21:46

lreynolds
Website

I’ve been using TextWrangler to make major changes, then cut and paste, or using the TXP interface for small tweaks. I’ve been thinking of dropping the dough for TextMate with the TXP bundle, because I find the TXP interface a pain, especially for CSS editing. Coda looks like it would be a really great app for me, but I’d still be stuck with the TXP interface for editing.

So my question is which one should I buy, or both.

#8 2007-04-27 14:46:30

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

Coda doesn’t really make sense for a textpattern site. You need to use the TXP admin interface to update forms and templates after all. Coda seems ideal for editing static sites.

#9 2007-04-27 15:00:32

marios
Archived Plugin Author

I recomend to get TextMate in any case. It is a very stable and reliable tool for any workstation environment anyway, with a plethora of Bundles to extend it, write your own ones, or customize existing ones.

I use TextMate for maintaining all kinds of stuff. It also has a TextileBundle, or if you work with Javascript Frameworks there are Bundles for all those too. The license only is about 39€, which is great Value for money ( for a full blown CoCoa app written entirely in C )

As jm mentions, the problem with most editors, is that they won’t do for our purpose, since there is no real live editing feature available. Which means.

• Export template to external Editor
  • Edit
  • Save changes to external file
  • Generate query to update the proper row in your database ( both locally and remote )
  • Refresh page in running Browsers

I never made it to implement it, since I didn’t have the right skillset in regards to mysql.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-04-27 15:01:11)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#10 2007-04-27 15:40:42

Joey

marios wrote:

As jm mentions, the problem with most editors, is that they won’t do for our purpose, since there is no real live editing feature available. Which means.

Indeed. I gave Coda a try last night. It is a nice program, but simply doesn’t work for textpattern templates. Talking about it, do you guys import templates from the mySql one way or another? Works that better than what I do: just open txp and copy-paste the template from txp to my editor all the time?

Regards,

Joey

#11 2007-04-28 02:32:34

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Using cocoamysql, you can just edit the template directly or copy paste. Their was a Textmate bundle, but it disappeared before I could grab it. Anyone have a copy?

Last edited by jm (2007-04-28 02:35:28)

#12 2007-04-29 12:39:56

marios
Archived Plugin Author

jm wrote:

Using cocoamysql, you can just edit the template directly or copy paste. Their was a Textmate bundle, but it disappeared before I could grab it. Anyone have a copy?

jm, no. I searched my old backup files last night. The only thing that’s left there is the README and License file.
( All the other disks where 7pass wiped out )
( I also asked the author to make it back available, which never happened )

It uses some sql Ruby Gem to execute the queries. ( I still have the movie. Tell me if you want it )

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

Board footer