Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-04-19 20:42:17

DigitalRealm
Website

Idea about using other RSS feeds for profit

I am curious to know if it is alright for people to take existing RSS feeds and aggregate them onto a site, and then make a profit off of that site by way of advertising? My buddy thinks that this is fine and is interested in having me work on the site layout for him. I just want to be sure that this alright/legal before I commit to the project.

For instance…..If I take all of the following feeds:

• MSNBC
  • So and So News
  • Tech Crunch
  • Some dudes blog
  • Another blog

and aggregate all of that content onto a site, is anything wrong with that? I feel pretty sure that this is currently being done all over the web, just not sure if it is legal to do it and make a profit off of it!

Any insight into this would be great.

#2 2007-04-19 21:57:40

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Idea about using other RSS feeds for profit

Check the copyrights and sharing policies on the sites first. If the content is distributed under a creative commons license or an open license, then that’s probably OK. Otherwise, the content is implicity copyrighted (or stated ©2007 = all rights reserved), so you shouldn’t aggregate the content.

#3 2007-04-20 00:23:17

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I feel pretty sure that this is currently being done all over the web, just not sure if it is legal to do it and make a profit off of it!

But as you know, lots of things are done all over the web, but that doesn’t make them legal or ethical. :)

Yes, the legal thing to do is to check with the copyright owner, either privately or via published copyright information given by the author.

How much content are we talking about? is that all the site would be? If the site is merely an aggregator of popular websites, my opinion is that it would not be an ethical practise. The matter is different if it is personalized aggregation based upon user preference. For instance, services like Google Reader or a Yahoo! start page.

Last edited by Mary (2007-04-20 00:24:46)

#4 2007-04-20 02:08:29

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Yahoo News!

Another way many people use RSS feeds is by incorporating content into weblogs, or “blogs”. Blogs are web pages comprised of usually short, frequently updated items and web links. Blogging as a publishing tool is used for many purposes: traditional journalism, personal journals, group discussions around a topic, and many combinations in-between.

hcgtv

Board footer