Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-03-30 07:09:44

zero
Website

Broadband

I’ve just got broadband and the difference between dial-up and broadband is more than amazing. It is a completely different internet experience. There really isn’t any comparison.

I just never knew how different it could be. I had used adsl in a local library and it was faster than my modem but only a bit. Now I am on 2mb or so, and can be online constantly, it really is different. It is a whole new way of living! Graphics rich web pages download just as fast as text-only. I can now access Flash sites, watch videos, listen as I surf, use YouTube and Flickr. I get a beep when an email arrives. I can leave the computer on while I make a meal etc. I can use the internet for my main entertainment! I COULD NEVER DO THAT BEFORE!

Some of you people may not know that anything above about 1mb just isn’t practically worth bothering with for someone on dial-up. It is a big decision whether to wait 30 minutes for a 5mb download or not. Usually I decided no. It was too expensive to stay online for any length of time so I used to work offline and just pop on for emails and to leave comments. I have never used Chat or Skype and I am sure there are many other things available I don’t even know about yet.

They say that what you don’t have you don’t miss. Of course, the opposite is true too. I am now going to miss the internet big time if I don’t have broadband! I am spoilt forever now!

Who has never used dial-up? Can you relate to this? Will it affect how you design web sites?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer