Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-03-07 15:53:10

squaredeye
Website

[request] Postmaster/CleanFeed adaptation Request

GOAL:
Create a proprietary aggregator site for an organization whose members have their own blogs. So that the organization’s constituency can keep up with goings on in a customized way.

SPECIFIC NEEDS:
Some users of this site will have a know how of all things RSS, though most will not, and will only have a handle on emailing. Thus the need for email subscription per feed is necessary.

FOR PAY
This is a for pay project. I would like to talk budget with anyone who’s interested privately until terms can be discussed.

SITE STRUCTURE:
I foresee the site being set up as follows:

• HOME (default)
    • Team One (section)
      • Team One member one (article)
        • Most recent post
        • Link to live blog
        • Link to email Sign up page
        • Feed specific to this team member
      • Team One member two
      • Team One member three
      • Team One member four
      • Team One member five
    • Team two (section)
      • Team two member one
      • Team two member two
      • Team two member three
      • Team two member four
      • Team two member five
    • Public Login (or password protected public page – YTBD)
    • Subscription management page (admin or public – YTBD)

note All team members would have the same setup as team member one on Team one.

FEED REQUIREMENTS: We would need a feed for all of the following:
  • HOME
  • section
  • article

I think this can be accomplished with ajw_clean_feed, though I’m not sure how this would interface with something like postmaster.

I imagine a feed template for the article form that might look like this:
<a href="<txp:site_url />section/article-title?feedmagic.xml">Feed to this article</a>

and a feed template for the section that might look like this:
<a href="<txp:site_url />section?feedmagic.xml">Feed to this section</a>

EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS
We will need a public or admin side subscription management area where a user can increase or decrease the number of feeds they are subscribed to. I imagine a hierarchical structure that acts like an automatic menu. Starting with home and then sections and then articles assigned to those sections, all handled by checkboxes within collapsing <ul>'s by section.

LAST NOTES
I am not sure if there are feed blending sites out there with API’s that can be tied into for something like this, or if its easy enough to manage as a TXP proprietary project?

#2 2007-03-07 16:04:20

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [request] Postmaster/CleanFeed adaptation Request

Of all the projects on SimplePie’s ideas page, I really like moonmoon for an aggregate site.

Worth checking out as a basis, less work involved.

#3 2007-03-31 02:47:01

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

ma_smith,

I haven’t gone back through what I’ve done to re-test it, but each part seems to be working now.

• I’ve added an option for the subscription form called “aggregator” which collects separate form fields into a single subscriber custom field.
  • I’ve added an enclosing tag that checks “if x is in custom field y”

If my thinking is correct — I haven’t tested it all the way through, as I said, and each part hasn’t really been tested except to know it works — you can then set up a form like this:

<txp:bab_new_checktag custom_field="10" check_for="author1_name"><txp:ajw_clean_feed url="author1_url" /><txp:bab_new_tag_that_checks_if_x_is_in_custom_field_y></txp:bab_new_checktag>

Some divider text or HTML to make it clear what follows is a new author:

<txp:bab_new_checktag custom_field="10" check_for="author2_name"><txp:ajw_clean_feed url="author2_url" /><txp:bab_new_checktag></txp:bab_new_checktag>

Etc.

Does that make sense?

So you’ll set up a series of checkboxes that people can select which authors / teams they want to get the feed of, then all of those options are gathered into a single custom field, then the checktag checks each possibility.

There are some major downsides:

• You have to check each option for each mail [this could all be done with a better tag] — that might affect performance if you had either a lot of options or a lot of subscribers
  • You have to build all of this very carefully — it seems like a big rickety setup [one wrong letter and the whole thing blows up]
  • Checkboxes are weird so I had to do a little hacking to make it work.

I’ll post more as I go through this. I think even if you’re all set and don’t need to go this route the aggregator / check_for combination will still be useful.

• Ben

PS. I have no idea how ajw_clean_feed works, I’m just assuming in my example above.

Last edited by benbruce (2007-03-31 02:57:34)

#4 2007-03-31 21:24:04

squaredeye
Website

Ben,
We are set at the moment, however, I’m quite keen on helping with this, as I think its a very interesting set up.

Matthew

Board footer