Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-03-05 07:15:12

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Komodo 4.0 IDE

Hi,

Been spending the last week getting my head around the new Komodo 4.0 IDE, lot’s of nice features added from the 3.5.3 version I was already using. The IDE is very extensible, since it’s built atop the Mozilla 1.8.1 source tree. Aside from being able to add user features via XUL, there is a lot that can be done to make working with a project’s underlying code much easier, like special syntax highlighting and code intelligence.

Here is what one developer contributed so that Drupal developers had project specific code intelligence for Drupal functions aside from PHP internal ones.

Just wondering if there would be any interest to do something similar for Textpattern?

#2 2007-03-05 08:35:41

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Re: Komodo 4.0 IDE

I downloaded the MAC OS X version to take a look. I’ts carbon based .
It seems that new editors are growing like mushrooms these days.
( I don’t know much though about this Editor, so don’t take that as a negative critique )

If you are open, let me explain, what I prefer in an texteditor having.

• I want it to be simple. ( In other words, I don’t want all that clutter with dozens of Icons and split windows to be opened and closed )
  • It should be configureable and extensible, right from within the OS and tie in nicely with it, without adding any extra bulk of libraries and extensions.
  • It should give me complete freedom, about how I want to configure and extend it
  • Everything should be accessible with a single shortcut.
  • It must be fast and reliable
  • Projecthandling should be simple ( Create and edit on the fly )

TextMate gives me all that, It’s written in C and therfore extremely fast, and of course CoCoa based.
( I have my whole workstation at my fingertips, whenever I want it, and I don’t think that there is anything comparable like that available, from what I have seen.)

I think I’m going to stick with that and continue to learn it very well.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#3 2007-03-05 15:14:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

marios wrote:

TextMate gives me all that, It’s written in C and therfore extremely fast, and of course CoCoa based.

Well, TextMate is not cross platform, if it were many of us would be using it.

Komodo also ships a free Editor in the 4.0 series, with code intelligence. Your work on the TextMate bundle can be used to build some intelligence into Komodo Edit for working on Textpattern templates.

May we all have Macs in our future ;)

#4 2007-03-05 15:42:07

hakjoon
Website

I’ve been using Komodo Edit (the free one) at work where I’m stuck on windows for the past week, and I have to say it’s pretty nice. It’s not as quick TopStyle Pro, but it has more features. The snippet system is fairly robust (not quite as good a Textmate’s but pretty good) and they really integrate it nicely with running your content through custom shell scripts so with a little perl you can pretty much make it do whatever you want.

The Code Folding is miles better then Textmate’s and it has a vi emulation mode :) It will also pull auto completes from various libraries you use, so for example if I use jQuery a lot I can add that library to the code intelligence. This is very cool at work where we rely heavily on Prototype.

Komodo Edit is a fantastic free editor and the fact that it’s built on Mozilla means I can customize the interface with some CSS and JS. Plus they have a whole python API for it. It’s also much much faster then Eclipse. Although I haven’t tried it on the Mac yet and XUL apps tend to run much slower on OSX for some reason.

It does not auto close Quotes, Parenthesis and Braces like Textmate and Eclipse do and that is a total time saver I miss. However finding matching braces is much easier in Komodo then in Textmate IMO.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#5 2007-03-06 04:50:02

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Jeff from Komodo was nice enough to create code intelligence files for various projects, Textpattern included.

Spent the day getting my Debian Etch server cleaned up, Komodo IDE 4.0.2 works really well on it. It’s funny that what Java promised us, XUL delivered on – nice looking cross platform apps that perform well.

Board footer