Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-02-24 03:38:21

Matt
Website

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church

The whole reason I got into this web design racket back in the days of “gamma” releases was to build a site for my parish church.

Since then, my family and I have relocated, which means a new website for another church. Here’s Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church in Charlottesville, Virginia. Hosted on Textdrive, natch.

BTW: This is the first thing I’ve posted here since datafirm started showing off the sites he designed, each one of which makes me want to crawl in a hole.

#2 2007-02-24 15:42:39

Mr. Smith

Re: St. Nicholas Orthodox Church

Nice work!

But the image with directions seems to screw up your weekly schedule of services. I’m viewing your site on IE6, and the schedule isn’t to the right of your main content, but instead it’s positioned underneath. But maybe that’s deliberate?

Textpattern n00b

#3 2007-02-24 15:47:22

Matt
Website

Drag. I haven’t tried IE6. The image just appears beneath the schedule on every other browser. I need to scale it back.

Thanks for the heads-up.

#4 2007-02-24 17:28:31

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

the image also appears too much to the right in ff1.5.x mac. In fact the side bar overlaps it.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2007-02-24 17:33:19

Matt
Website

Thanks again. I’ve replaced it with a smaller popup link.

#6 2007-02-24 17:50:12

mrdale
Website

Quite nice, l really like it. Your little map in an antique gilded fram is a super touch. Couple of suggestions.

1. you should add a visual calendar to your page. it’s pretty straightforward and some people find it easier
  2. the selected and hover state for your navs has a padd of about 5px from your vertical separators, might be cool to give it a shadow on one side to indicate that it’s a cutout and carry over the 3D effect you have. You could also carry over the gilded antique metaphor and have a gold instead of grey nav background.

Just a couple of thoughts. Really nice work.

#7 2007-02-24 18:05:25

Matt
Website

I’d love to set a grid-style calendar up, but zem_event seems like overkill. Entering each service as an event or article is too time-consuming, especially when I’m maintaining the iCal file simultaneously. If I had a way to parse an iCal file cleanly, that’s what I’d use. I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks for the comments on the nav tabs. I don’t think I have the Photoshop chops to pull it off right, though. Again, open to suggestions.

#8 2007-02-24 19:29:27

marios
Archived Plugin Author

@matt, as usual, lovely what you have done.

the navigation: If you want a simple hover, than one way to do it quickly is:

Take the background-image ( the 2px/40px ) open in any graphic app and duplicate the height. Duplicate the layer, just change the hue/saturation to taste and pull that 40px below. Merge and control the hover-state with your CSS through background-position.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#9 2007-02-25 11:53:01

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Love the design Matthew but, considering that I’m pretty sure you told me about this, I’m surprised there is no “outline: 0;” in there at the top of the CSS. ;)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

Board footer