Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-02-15 05:37:33

theturninggate
Website

Redesigned blog

Hello,

I’m still working out the kinks and rearranging things a bit, but my redesigned blog is more or less looking like what it’s going to look like, so I thought I’d solicite impressions, suggestions or tomatoes. Please have a gander at The Turning Gate.

And no, I haven’t resolved the issue of PNGs in IE6 yet, but it’s on my list of things to do sometime in 2007. Cheers,
Matt

Last edited by theturninggate (2007-02-15 05:38:36)

#2 2007-02-15 08:28:05

stephent
Website

Re: Redesigned blog

Hi Matt

Very nice looking site – love the colour palette you’ve chosen. I’m viewing on a MacBook Pro – the screen proportions mean that your site banner occupies around 3/4 of the available screen height making it necessary to scroll down to start reading the content – not a problem, per se, just an observation.

I was wondering how the favicon relates to the rest of the design – it’s similar, but different from the flower-like designs in the main body.

I particularly like the two column recent post presentation – nice to see something different there.

A couple of questions for you: i) what lightbox software are you using (it’s very nice) ? and ii) what camera/lense do you use? The portraits on the site look great.

Cheers,

Stephen

#3 2007-02-15 08:31:22

TNT
Website

Very nice job. And I can’t wait for the fulfillment of the promise of more stylesheets! :)

Prrrrrrrr

#4 2007-02-15 09:33:44

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

theturninggate wrote:

And no, I haven’t resolved the issue of PNGs in IE6 yet, but it’s on my list of things to do sometime in 2007.

Did you have a look at this ?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2007-02-16 07:28:18

theturninggate
Website

Thanks everyone! :)

stephent:
I’m aware of the large site banner, and know it might be a turn-off to some people. Once I have my stylesheet nailed down in a final form, I plan to create an alternative, small-banner version of the same design.

I’m not quite sure what you’re referring to by “favicon”. My best guess is the square icon at the top of the right column. I’ll probably use it for site notices, as I’m using it now, and will either remove it when I no longer have need of it, or replace it with some sort of image – a headshot, or a randomized photo, or something of that nature.

The version of Lightbox that I’m using is SlimBox. A recent discovery that I’m liking very, very much. I’m using it in conjunction with the upm_image and wet_for_each_image plugins to automate my galleries by TXP image categories.

As for my photography, I shoot with a Canon EOS 20D, with an assortment of lenses. My most used lenses are the 16-35mm f/2.8 L, the 24-70mm f/2.8 L, the 50mm f/1.4 EF and the 100m f/2.8 EF Macro.

TNT: Me too! I get tired of a design almost immediately upon finishing. I’m already thinking about what will come next. :)

colak: I’ve seen that, and it’s the first solution I’m going to attempt when I get that far along my to-do list. One thing that slows me down here is that I develop on an Apple Powerbook, and only have convenient development access to IE6 when my girlfriend leaves her laptop at my house (a request I’ll have to make sometime soon). Thanks for pointing it out again, though. I’d lost the link! :)

Last edited by theturninggate (2007-02-16 07:46:55)

#6 2007-02-16 10:58:55

theturninggate
Website

colak: I gave the Easy PNG in IE fix a try on another site, Minty Bum. PNG’s are showing properly as set in CSS to background-image, but background-repeat still won’t work. I see that listed as a limitation in Known Issues on the site. :(

For Minty Bum, I guess I’ll have to stick with Dean Edwards’ solution, for the simple reason that it displays PNGs and also gets IE6 to adhere to the min-height CSS attribute, which the other PNG fix doesn’t do.

For The Turning Gate, however, I think your solution will work nicely. :)

Last edited by theturninggate (2007-02-16 11:11:15)

Board footer