Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2007-01-26 17:45:16

maverick
Website

Re: TXPhorum: A simple forum solution for Textpattern

Ben

I have a couple of issues cropping up. I wanted to see if they were something you were aware of – or perhaps it is on my side . . .

1) You are in a post thread. The last action taken was to reply to the post. You “reload” the page (for whatever strange reason :). Doing so cause textpattern to “repost” the previous reply – even though the textbox is empty. Is there a way to prevent this?

2) If you edit a reply from the administration panel, it will change the sections – from “txphorum_replies” to “about”.

txphorum_replies is not a section. It is kind of odd considering that initially it shows “txphorum_replies” as the section even though it doesn’t exist in the drop down list of sections.

I am guessing that I have to manually create the section the same as I did for txphorum? Did I miss this in the documentation?

Even after the section on a reply changes to “about”, it still shows under the original post (a good thing :). I assume this is because you are using custom fields to tie the post and the reply together?

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by maverick (2007-01-26 17:54:51)

#26 2007-01-26 18:05:04

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

maverick,

that “re-posting” issue should be taken care of with the next release. currently, the information you enter is still “hanging in the air” so if you hit enter again, it gets grabbed and re-entered.

you do need to manually create the second section — but you could use any section you want; it could just as easily be called “about” (if you change the custom tag to @section=“about”).

If you:

1. Have the about section set to “show on front page,” and you
  2. Set your reply tag to @section=“about,” then
  3. the replies will show up on the front page.

There is a lot of possibility there, and if you want to explore it that’s awesome, but for the model I was just trying to keep it simple.

PS. I’m afraid I was so excited to release the forum and the manual that the documentation was not up to speed (and neither, as you and raveoli found out, was the plugin). So to your question “did I miss it in the documentation” — no, probably not. I expect it was left out (I’ve since updated it a bit, though).

Last edited by benbruce (2007-01-26 18:50:02)

#27 2007-01-26 18:37:32

maverick
Website

Ben

I think it’s a great project & plugin! I see why you are excited about getting it out!

I should have guessed you had found all the bugs. Sorry for adding to your “support” load.

I think for now I’ll create the additional section and stick with “txphorum_replies”, but thank you for pointing out the possibilities of setting the replies to other sections and being able to publish the content elsewhere on the site. I will probably experiment with it in the coming weeks.

Thanks again

Mike

#28 2007-01-26 18:50:13

raveoli
Website

Now the posts showed up. My bad, the txphorum_index form was empty, must have copy pasted too fast;-/

Anyway, now it shows all my posts form all sections… I think that’s been covered in this topic previously, so I’ll read a bit up on it…

You can see it here:
http://www.macstart.dk/txphorum/enter-your-title-here-fsdafs

… and I get this error:
tag_error <txp:article_custom post_or_reply=“77” form=“txphorum_reply” sort=“Posted asc” /> -> Textpattern Notice: Unknown tag attribute: post_or_reply on line 582

Btw, Ben, it would maybe be better if you gathered the manual on one page of your website. There is a lot of “go here, go there” etc;-)

EDIT:
Now I just read this in a previous post:
This is an error with the template and the instructions (fails to mention this) — the form you’ve copied and pasted (“txphorum_post”) has the following at the bottom:
<txp:article_custom post_or_reply=”<txp:article_id />” form=“txphorum_reply” sort=“Posted asc” />
You need to replace “post_or_reply” with the name of your custom_2. Alternatively, you could go into your Admin preferences and change the name of custom_2 to “post_or_reply”. That should do it.

But I use my custom field 2 for something else… Should I edit the plugin or? I prefer not, as I tend to forget such editing when upgrading the plugin…

Last edited by raveoli (2007-01-26 18:57:09)

#29 2007-01-26 23:22:04

maverick
Website

Hey Ben

One last post before I knock off for the night.

I downloaded and reinstalled the plugin today, and the additional forms in the template. Edit links work like a charm. The edit login and user information links work well also. Reply count works well. (Except for the replies made before the new version of the plugin are counted – as I suspected they wouldn’t from your posts at your test forum). All in all – great work! Thank you.

The only glitch is with replying. Clicking enter when replying to a post brings up a page that says “The document has moved here” and a link (back to the forum). I assume this has to do with the redirect fix you were working on?

Is there something I need to fix on my end or is this an issue with the plugin?

Thanks

Mike

(ps – I have a version of the template that might be easier for first time users to read. More indents, white space and comments. I have also separated some of the hardcoded styling for the tables into the style sheet. It is validating xhtml 1.0 transitional and the css is validating as well [not that it was too hard – you had it almost there]. If you would like a copy, your welcome to it – rough as it is :)

Last edited by maverick (2007-01-26 23:23:02)

#30 2007-01-28 20:35:33

raveoli
Website

Hey Maverick

I’m very much interested in trying out your template – can you post a link?

#31 2007-01-29 00:35:28

maverick
Website

raveoli

This link should allow you to download the template as a text file:
txphorum_template_modified

This is the my second txphorum test site, and uses the above template:
Txphorum test site @ Evangelical Allliance

Disclaimers :P

The template was modified in SubEthaEdit, and displays okay in TextEdit. I have included tons of indents, comments, and instructions.

It is not an example of “best of practice”. Some of my css additions could have been better done (I was working fast). For nice tight code it should be tightented, a lot of white space and comments removed, etc.

This version remains essentially the Ben’s original template with some tweaks. Ben had made a number of improvements to his version of the template already. The standard template only had three xhtml 1.0 trans. validation errors and 1 css error last time I checked. So I didn’t have much to do. :)

My other test site has Txphorum more tightly integrated into the layout.

Morocco Church

I haven’t created a single template from that site, but could sometime if that would ever be of help to anyone.

Mike

Last edited by maverick (2007-01-29 13:29:12)

#32 2007-01-29 00:39:36

maverick
Website

p.s. raveoli

I checked your site several times. It looks like you have most of txphorum working. It appears that the last big piece for you is to hear from Ben about using a different custom field. Sorry I can’t help you there – I used custom2, and haven’t had to experiment with alternatives yet (or the time right now to do so).

Mike

#33 2007-01-29 06:01:59

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

maverick,

let me know if I can post your template and test site here. I think it will be a good idea to have them all available to choose from one place. Also, about your “this document has moved” error … I’m wondering if that wasn’t because at first you had it set to the “about” section? Do you get that error with “new” posts to the forum?

raveoli,

currently, the only way to change what custom field is being used is to hack the code. i can help if you need instructions on how to do it. obviously, this is something that needs to be a preference that can be set [This is now a preference that can be set, available with the next version of the plugin]. I will be going over the manual again before releasing the next version of the plugin as well.

• Ben

PS. The next version is nearly ready to release. It’s got a bunch of fixes that should hopefully make life a lot easier.

Last edited by benbruce (2007-01-29 08:00:51)

#34 2007-01-29 13:41:55

maverick
Website

Ben,

Feel free to post my template and test site(s). Feel free to add any of my changes back into your template for that matter if you wish. “My” template is really more yours than mine :)

I did update the download link with a slightly newer version (I updated it to include “copy & paste” instructions at the page and style creation so that new folks would have a more accurate step-by-step instructions.)

With the “document has moved” message. I am receiving it on all edits (including posts, which have never changed sections) and all replies (old and new. The new have never changed sections). I am receiving it on both test sites. The Evangelical Alliance test site had the txpforum_replies section from the start – no sections have ever been changed.

The orginal version of the plugin that I used did not do this with replies (but the edit link did not work). The more recent download of the plugin enabled the edit inks but has this issue (on my sites at least). If you have been actively updating the download version of the plugin I can see if the probelm has gone away.

Thanks

Mike

#35 2007-01-29 18:22:53

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Mike,

I think I’ll add your template. I think if there’s some variety — no matter how small — that will be good. Someday if I have time I’d like to set up a table-less template :)

From the sound of it, your “document has moved” error must be from the plugin, and you’re probably right about the redirection. I’m using the article’s “permlink” function to figure out what it’s url is, so maybe that’s it — in fact, I’m only using that on edits and replies. Are you receiving that error on a brand new post?

Thanks,

• Ben

#36 2007-01-29 20:25:42

maverick
Website

Ben

It only is happening with edits and replies. New posts function as they should.

Mike

Board footer