Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-01-21 19:01:37

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Making it easier to package designs

I’m in the process of converting one of Andreas Viklund’s templates over to Textpattern. So I thought, hey why not do it with sharing in mind.

While in the beginning stages, I needed to decide where to place the images for the design. So I downloaded the latest Theme from Textgarden, TXP Greenery, to see how it was done.

I fired up the ReadMe.html and thought to myself that a) this would take someone a very long time to bring into their install and b) the readme must of taken as long to do as the theme.

So I thought to myself a) my hats off to Stuart and b) I don’t have Magic Dust at my disposal.

#2 2007-01-22 20:30:25

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: Making it easier to package designs

Is this a question?

#3 2007-01-22 21:59:12

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

I guess it’s a rant asking for direction?

If we don’t make it easier for users to package and distribute designs, then it will just be Stuart doing the heavy lifting for the foreseeable future.

What I think needs to be hammered out:
a) A directory to place images, uploading them to the Textpattern interface takes too long and due to the fact that border.jpg gets renamed to 23.jpg doesn’t help either.
b) A mechanism to export and import pages, forms and styles. mcw_templates comes to mind and that’s what I’ve been using on my sites.
c) A naming scheme, no need to blow away the defaults. With the changes coming in 4.0.5, when you set your default page and style, thats what you’re met with in the editing tabs.

I’m a relative newbie to Textpattern, I can only offer my limited perspective to the situation.

#4 2007-01-22 23:42:29

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

…asking for direction?

Sounds from the rest of your post like you’ve already figured that out. :) But, I believe there has already been this discussion before (if memory serves correct), not long ago, in fact.

#5 2007-01-23 01:56:30

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Mary wrote:

But, I believe there has already been this discussion before (if memory serves correct), not long ago, in fact.

Yes, there was a thread that discussed templating packaging methodologies but nothing concrete came of it. I kind of have it figured out, it’s just that how I may approach would be very different from the standard on Textgarden.

Board footer