Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2007-02-10 11:27:53

Destry
Website

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

Danw —

What you are suggesting is mirroring articles, and it is very important for usability by making it clear to users what content is translated and what is not. The best example of this of course is Wikipedia where each page has a list of language links indicating what languages the page has thus far been translated to.

I wrote a Textpattern-oriented article on this, here, which expands on the idea originally described by Inspired (Yura). Net-carver noted it too and thinks it’s possible to add that in to the MLP (if I understood right). It would indeed be nice.

(Net-carver: I’m dying to be another multilingual site representing MLP, and I will be, but I’m still without a computer, believe it or not, so until I can develop locally, I can’t make the jump. Looking foward to seeing all the other sites that arise though…I think a place somewhere that showcases them is in order!)

#38 2007-02-11 15:16:12

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

I’m trying the pack on a demo install (third level domain: name.site.com) and encountering exactly the same errors as AnDee on wizard

No other db issues in the basic txp install. I have a prefix for the db table. Already installed the php 4 files.

Added: given a look at the files. I have the database set on latin1 charset. Could this be an issue with the queries, as I see that utf-8 is used in many points?

Thanks, the work seems really impressive, I’m looking forward to solve the problem and try it! :))

Z-

Last edited by Zanza (2007-02-11 15:19:33)

#39 2007-02-11 21:22:32

ultramega

Content tab opens as blank page after installing this mod. It renders completely empty page! If I disable l10n plugin, the tab is back to normal.

Could I have missed something in installation? I copied those two images to txp_img folder and 9 lib-files corresponding folder also. Then I installed three plugins via TXP admin, and made them active. Then I ran through the setup and all seemed went well.

Hmm… what now? The good points are: I’m just starting new project, so there is no actual content yet but few test posts and rough site structure. The other good thing is that this could save me from Joomla, if I’ll get this working :)

Textpattern version: 4.0.4 (r1956)
Last Update: 2007-02-10 13:02:24/2006-08-31 14:47:58
Permanent link mode: section_title
PHP version: 5.2.0-0.dotdeb.3
Register globals: 1
Server Local Time: 2007-02-11 23:09:32
MySQL: 4.1.15-Debian_0.dotdeb.4
Locale: fi_FI
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.7e
PHP Server API: cgi-fcgi
RFC 2616 headers:
Server OS: Linux 2.4.29-grsec
Active plugins:
rss_admin_show_adv_opts-0.3,
gbp_admin_library-0.4.515,
zem_contact_lang-mlp-4.0.3-MLP

Pre-flight check:
————————————
Some Textpattern files have been modified: /lib/txplib_db.php
Clean URL test failed.

#40 2007-02-12 20:06:55

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

all

thanks for the replies. Sorry for the late response — but I only just regained internet access (I’m travelling with my family at the moment) — and I’ll be going through all the posts one-by-one as I get time.

Thanks for your patience.

Steve

#41 2007-02-12 22:11:29

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Dan (Danw)

Where’s the tip jar, so we can throw some cash your way for an awesome plugin?

Thank you. You can use the paypal link on the ‘old’ ransom form. If that’s not suitable, please get in contact and we can sort something else out.

One feature that would be very useful for us…

Nice idea. Added that to the to-do list.

Oops, having touched Destry’s post, perhaps I misunderstood your request.

Just to clarify, are you asking for a link to appear on the admin > write tab to connect to the other available translations?

If you want to have links to translations hosted on the local site appear on the public article page then that can easily be achieved using the l10n_lang_list in your default (or other) article form. In a single-article context, this tag only outputs links to it’s translated (and published) peers.

Last edited by net-carver (2007-02-12 22:27:27)

Steve

#42 2007-02-12 22:21:09

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

lee

Hello again.

I’ve installed mlp on a new install of the 4.04, but the second installed language (French) was not picked up. Why would that be?

Could you let me know if the language code that was showing up in the TxP admin > prefs > lang, language pick-list is just ‘fr’ or ‘fr-fr’?

It could be that there are too few strings present in the txp_lang table marked as ‘fr-fr’ for it to register in the MLP Pack as a fully installed admin-side language. There need to be at least 500 strings marked as such for the Pack to treat it as an installed admin lang.

If this is too many for the French translation then I can certainly reduce it for the next release.

I entered it manually and it worked.

Ok.

Steve, I’ll be dropping some money in you amazon account this weekend mate – this is a great addition to txp.

Thanks, please get in contact for the correct email address to send it to.

Steve

#43 2007-02-12 22:25:46

lee

Just paypaled you 20 quid – have a beer on me!

#44 2007-02-12 22:31:24

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Destry wrote:

(Net-carver: I’m dying to be another multilingual site representing MLP, and I will be, but I’m still without a computer, believe it or not, so until I can develop locally, I can’t make the jump. Looking foward to seeing all the other sites that arise though…I think a place somewhere that showcases them is in order!)

Thanks Destry, I look forward to seeing wion.com go multi-lingual.

Steve

#45 2007-02-12 22:39:30

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Zanza

thanks for the report.

Added: given a look at the files. I have the database set on latin1 charset. Could this be an issue with the queries, as I see that utf-8 is used in many points?

I’m not sure.

One thought I had was that the MySQL user that TxP is using to connect to the DB needs to have the following privilages to successfully run the install wizard…

1. CREATE
  2. ALTER
  3. CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES (only used on the admin side)
  4. LOCK TABLES
  5. DROP (only used in the cleanup wizard)

Could anyone having this problem please verify that the MySQL user you are using to get TxP talking to the DB has the above rights/privilages in your MySQL installation.

Many thanks,

Steve

#46 2007-02-12 22:43:40

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

ultramega

Hmm… what now?

Thank you for posting your diagnostics. Perhaps you could give this a shot…

1. disable rss_admin_show_adv_opts-0.3,
  2. clear your browser cache
  3. try the content tab again

Steve

#47 2007-02-13 01:19:28

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Zanza

given a look at the files. I have the database set on latin1 charset. Could this be an issue with the queries, as I see that utf-8 is used in many points?

You might be on to something here. If this is the case, I’ll need to update the Wizard’s pre-condition checking routine — and possibly add checks for the current DB charset/collations.

According to this article, MySQL only supports utf-8 in versions 4.1 and above and I know that anDee is running on an older version. Could you let me know what version you are running on? Your installation might be greater than 4.1 but the mix of encodings will be a little strange, especially the ALTERations done to your Latin1 fields with the MLP Pack’s utf-8 ones.

anDee

Could you give things a try with a 4.1 (or greater) version of MySQL?

Steve

#48 2007-02-13 04:32:43

zaharia

Hey Steve – sorry for dissapearing, I’ve been burried in another project.

Your php4 fix seems to work for the snippets tab – I can now move around there with no problem. I tried doing a “clean up” and reinstall of mlp after applying your fix, and still got the same “Undefined index” errors. But except for that, the MLP interface seems to be working fine.

I still get a not found error for /en but I haven’t really looked into it yet… if I can’t figure it our on my own will post again.

Thanks so much, this is great!

Board footer