Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1261 2009-04-22 10:39:15

els

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

If you have a section ‘help’, you don’t have to create a snippet for that. You can enter the translations for the section title in the ‘sections’ tab. Then you write your article (or more) in that section, save it, and in the MLP > articles tab you can clone it. The (not yet translated) renditions are then created as new articles in draft mode. Translate them and save them as ‘live’.
For your navigation you don’t have to use anything more than the section_list tag. Depending on the language page the visitor is on, the menu items will link to /en/help/ or /fr/help/. (Section names cannot – yet? – be localized unfortunately, only the titles.)

I know the plugin help does not really provide enough information on how to set up a MLP site from scratch. It becomes very useful when you’ve got the basics up and running, and want to refine/expand it. When I have some spare time I’ll try and put together a kind of ‘first steps’ guide.

Until then, just keep asking your questions here :)

#1262 2009-04-22 15:27:47

mrtunes
Website

Els wrote:

If you have a section ‘help’, you don’t have to create a snippet for that. You can enter the translations for the section title in the ‘sections’ tab.

ok thank you for that overview. i guess i got tripped up because in my sections tab, it says “Section title: [english]”, but there’s no french option there. do i have to activate that somehow?

#1263 2009-04-22 15:53:29

azw

If I recall correctly, you first create the section, and then you have to go back and create the localized translations. The translation options don’t appear until the section is already created. It’s a little odd, but I think MLP only kicks in once there is something to localize.

#1264 2009-04-22 16:05:57

mrtunes
Website

azw wrote:

If I recall correctly, you first create the section, and then you have to go back and create the localized translations. The translation options don’t appear until the section is already created. It’s a little odd, but I think MLP only kicks in once there is something to localize.

how do i create the “localized translations”? i created the sections so i guess i’m ready for this next step.

#1265 2009-04-22 16:17:39

azw

Just go back to the Sections tab under Presentation. Once you create the section, MLP will automatically offer you empty fields in which you can add your translations.

#1266 2009-04-22 16:30:05

mrtunes
Website

azw wrote:

Just go back to the Sections tab under Presentation. Once you create the section, MLP will automatically offer you empty fields in which you can add your translations.

but it’s not doing that :(
i just have: Section title [English]

#1267 2009-04-22 16:46:20

els

mrtunes wrote:

i just have: Section title [English]

You probably don’t have the most recent version installed, missing title fields for sections/categories were an issue in Steve’s last version 0.9.11. Get the most recent version with Graeme’s fix here.

#1268 2009-04-22 17:36:56

mrtunes
Website

Els wrote:

You probably don’t have the most recent version installed, missing title fields for sections/categories were an issue in Steve’s last version 0.9.11. Get the most recent version with Graeme’s fix here.

thanks, that fixed it! they should probably kill off the links to this old version that i was using. also did you see my post about the toggling problem ?

#1269 2009-04-22 17:53:02

els

mrtunes wrote:

why when i’m toggling languages, it sometimes goes to /en/ter/fr ? which is a dead link?

Sorry, I overlooked that. Does it still happen now that you’ve installed the latest version? And what is the ter part in there??

#1270 2009-04-22 17:59:16

mrtunes
Website

Els wrote:

Sorry, I overlooked that. Does it still happen now that you’ve installed the latest version? And what is the ter part in there??

no problem! yes it’s still occuring

EDIT: on the root of the site, if you rollover the french link, it says root.com/fr/ter/en
to confirm my code is: <txp:l10n_lang_list surpress_current=“1” />

Last edited by mrtunes (2009-04-22 18:02:28)

#1271 2009-04-22 18:24:56

els

Is that the section_list tag creating those links? And do you have a link to the site in question? If not, can you post a tag trace, because with so litte information it’s hard to tell what is wrong.

And what I’d like to know is what is ‘ter’? Is it a section name or something else?

#1272 2009-04-24 18:46:17

dreamer

I’m trying to style the output of the l10_lang_list on my site here

On the upper right hand corner, you’ll see the english and spanish dummy links. That’s what I want to duplicate with the lang tags.

That code looks like this;

<span class="translate"><a href="#">Espanol</a><a href="#">English</a></span>

I tried my best with duplicating it like this in the sidebar section;

<span class="translate"><a href="<txp:l10n_lang_list />"></a></span>

However, as you notice in the sidebar, it’s not looking too pretty.

Can anyone shed some light on how to best style this? Looking at the docs didn’t give me alot of clues. I tried adding,

list_class="translate"
to the l10n_lang_list tag but that didn’t work well.

Last edited by dreamer (2009-04-24 18:47:14)

Board footer