Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-01-14 04:29:11

Dan Hoy

Beginner Looking for Good Starter Theme

Hi,

I am new to Textpattern and would like to install a good theme to cut my teeth on.
I downloaded a number of themes but they were all set up so differently I am sort of confused as to what is the best practice method of building a site.

My experiment with the various themes demonstrated that Textpattern is a very flexible system and I realise that it is probably a great asset to have so much flexibility when putting together a site. However, I would like to know from some seasoned users what would be perhaps, the most sensible approach to developing a site in Textpattern and if you know of a good solid theme that is built in this way.

Thanks for your time.

#2 2007-01-14 09:13:24

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Beginner Looking for Good Starter Theme

I guess you have visited textgarden . I believe that there is not right or wrong theme. It depends what your site is about. The power of txp is its flexibility regrding presentation. Also take a look at the txp mag . If you let us know what your site will be about we might be able to suggest some themes for you…

Last edited by colak (2007-01-14 09:14:31)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2007-01-14 19:43:11

mrdale
Website

Rob Sable makes a bunch of great plugins I imagine his award-winning template is one of the best to learn from.

#4 2007-03-18 11:04:40

mrtunes
Website

is it just me or installing a theme very of confusing? i tried out “white and wild”, read the instructions, and it took a bit of fiddling to get images to show up with the server path(had to use full http://www.mysite.com/txp/img/) and then there’s some big layout problems
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3811/whiteandwildproblemdt8.jpg

#5 2007-03-19 21:23:26

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

is it just me or installing a theme very of confusing?

Aside: Textpattern doesn’t have true theme support as yet – which is why I refer to them as “packaged designs” – and that means you are merely handed the pages, forms and styles and given instructions of how to “install” them. It is up to the individual “theme” creator to craft the instructions. Some of them are discussing ways to properly standardize the process until we have true theming ability.

#6 2007-03-19 22:10:21

mrtunes
Website

Mary wrote:

Aside: Textpattern doesn’t have true theme support as yet – which is why I refer to them as “packaged designs” – and that means you are merely handed the pages, forms and styles and given instructions of how to “install” them. It is up to the individual “theme” creator to craft the instructions. Some of them are discussing ways to properly standardize the process until we have true theming ability.

right well i guess an optimistic way of looking at the situation is that if using theme templates is complicated, then it encourages new users to just build the look of their site from scratch.

Board footer