Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-01-13 00:13:37

squaredeye
Website

Outlook BOMBS html email support for 2007

Oh man. This stinks.

I’m not a huge html email fan in the first place, but the hope of having support for it that was standardized in the near future looked good until this unbelievable rollback. :(

#2 2007-01-13 02:34:32

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Re: Outlook BOMBS html email support for 2007

@matthew, I havent clicked on the link yet, but I’d rather applaud this decision, since html enabled e-mails are unsafe by nature.

I always have my mail client set, to receive in text only.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-01-13 12:31:33)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#3 2007-01-13 04:05:04

squaredeye
Website

Marios,
Can you explain more? And do you applaud the decision because it has the result you want or because you think that MS should go with an older rendering engine (word) (you’ll have to read what is written there). I’d be curious to know, as I’m not in the know here.

:)

M

#4 2007-01-13 07:56:11

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Good decision, thouhg half-hearted: HTML e-mails were never rendered properly, as the default security setting for Outlook doesn’t download images unless you told it to do so, resulting in crippled, f*ck-uped layouts. GMail also removes most of the HTML/CSS.

#5 2007-01-13 17:47:00

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Ah I see ( red the article ) they want to use Word rendering the e-mails.
Well that is not a good Idea either.

However, without knowing much about the technical aspect myself, here is one simple example, why Users shouldn’t accept e-mails, that are rendering HTML.

• User receives e-mail, with pretty pictures, branded logo and lot’s of links to follow ( opening up in their default browser )
  • What, if that e-mail isn’t from that Sender, that shows up in the branded logo (spoofed ) ?
  • User clicks on one of the pretty pictures, which is linked to a URL, leading to a page with either malicous code or to a website, that pretends to be the source, that it stated in the e-mail and tries to make the user submit sensitive form data from that spoofed website.

( That’s the most simple example, I could think of, there’s probably more )

When you receive an e-mail, in plain text form, you can see clearly see what it contains, and all the URL’s are visible.
It’s also good practice to send both in text form and html form, in case you have to do the latter.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-01-13 17:51:21)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#6 2007-01-13 17:59:46

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

marios wrote:

Ah I see ( red the article ) they want to use Word rendering the e-mails.
Well that is not a good Idea either.

Sorry but :
F…g Micro$oft

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#7 2007-01-13 19:45:01

squaredeye
Website

Marios, Wet,

Fairplay. This makes sense. Shouldn’t there be something done so that we can receive rich content emails with security enhanced? Perhaps a program of certificates? I see your points though. Good to keep learning ;)

Hope you both are well.

Matthew

#8 2007-01-13 20:09:44

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

I don’t use Outlook and I don’t care for html mail. I remember when Outlook came on the scene and I started receiving all these huge and heavy emails from people in my Netscape client. From that point on the Net was never the same, it’s gone downhill ever since.

Honestly, I don’t see the need for html in email and it just screws up any intelligent response quoting mechanism. Oh, I forgot, Outlook defaults to placing your response on top, never mind ;)

#9 2007-01-13 20:46:49

masa

ma_smith wrote:

Shouldn’t there be something done so that we can receive rich content emails with security enhanced?

Personally I think the most courteous way of doing this is to publish the content as a web page and only send out a plain text mail to the recipients containing a link and brief description. This allows the end user to decide whether or when and where to view the content and also saves a lot of bandwidth.

Cheers Martin

#10 2007-01-15 02:56:25

squaredeye
Website

Martin,
I agree, but I don’t think this is thinking broadly over the long haul. THere isn’t any reason we shouldn’t be able to send and receive rich content through email, I’m just wondering what might be done to alleviate the problems with it in the future? More philisophical or visionary at this point in the conversation.

M

Board footer