Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-01-09 06:40:17

variaas
Plugin Author
Website

Photography in London

I’m thinking of buying a ticket to visit London in April for the sole reason of photography. I’ve never been to Europe, but the ticket is too cheap pass up on. Would anyone suggest areas of beauty in or near London?

I would love to find some gorgeous pastures or greenery. I’ve been in the U.S. my entire life so areas of deep history would be interesting as well. Any suggestions?

#2 2007-01-09 10:20:18

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Photography in London

London is very urban so you have to go to its parks for greens:

• Richmond park
  • Regents park
  • Hyde park
  • Hampstead heath
  • Primrose hill
  • Holland park
  • Kew gardens
  • etc

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2007-01-11 22:40:38

edeverett
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Get yourself on a train and out into the country side, there are some stunning areas a little out of London.

Highly recommended are the South Downs and the Seven Sisters A long walk there on a sunny day with a pub lunch can’t be beaten. That’s my part of the world, but there are so many places it’s probably best to get a guide book and see what takes your fancy. Upstream on the Thames might be provide good photo opportunities – try somewhere like Henley.

#4 2007-01-12 02:19:44

squaredeye
Website

I’ll add my vote for the South Downs. Its crazy beautiful in that area of England, but I don’t find it particularly British, as much as some of what London has to offer as a city, and its hidden beauties.

#5 2007-01-25 21:34:52

jameslomax
Website

Depends what kind of images you’re looking for. I used to live close to the S Downs and yes, they are lovely on a summer day with skylarks in the sky, when for much of the time you can sense, if not see the sea in the near distance. Sheesh, you can tell I’m fed up with winter….

My great love, arguably the most beautiful area of England, is the Lake District. Check out my photos – I’ve got lots. Its a bit of a speciality for me. And its got lots of Romantic Poetry history – Wordsworth lived here, Coleridge walked there, etc etc. Also check out the new Beatrix Potter movie to get some idea – haven’t seen it myself though. But you’ll have to travel to get to the LD.

London parks are nice; you could spend a day or two exploring them. And if you want history, London’s certainly got it. My own favourite is a walk along an area called the South Bank of the river Thames, giving constant great views to historic sites with Parliament at one end and St Pauls Cathedral at the other – directly opposite the Tate Modern gallery, which is a great juxtaposition spanned by a the very cool Millenium Bridge.

But bring an umbrella. Even in April :-)

#6 2007-01-26 07:19:26

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

James, I agree with you re LD. I was always in between LD and Cornwall, Land’s end, saint Ives as far as environmental beauty went. That area is absolutely magical as well. Having said that. Gimme London anytime:)

>edit… typos typos

Last edited by colak (2007-01-27 10:07:33)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#7 2007-01-26 16:40:49

nagarjuna
Website

Birmingham!
OK, only joking. Don’t go to Birmingham if you want verdant pastures.
Norfolk is nice, though. Very flat, as Noel Coward famously commented, but strangely haunting. The coast is particularly good, but the broads (wetlands) are nice as well. There’s a direct train line to Norwich, and the journey’s quite fast. And Norwich is great for history.

Will :-)

Wayward thoughts on the Buddhist Way: thinkbuddha

#8 2007-01-26 18:02:19

variaas
Plugin Author
Website

Wow guys! I really appreciate the great ideas….now I have to figure out how to squeeze that into 4 days :)

Board footer