Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-12-16 08:36:11

satsilem

This is a very big post full of questions about search, localisation..

Hello to everybody. One more time thanks for sharing all these things.
I use textpattern for one of my projects and I think is here to stay.

I always find answers to common problems here in the forums,
but there are some problems I cannot solve my self and I cant find a proper solution.

Some explanations:
I have installed textpattern 4.0.4 localy on xamp server,
I use the installation to support an online-newspaper with a lot of sections and a lot of categories and a lot of articles.

The problems:
when I finished the creation of the system locally, I uploaded on a live server in order to run in it live.
I wanted to add some more publishers, the process shows no problems and the publisher is created in the system, he can upload articles but his articles are not visible at the frontpage. it is not a tag problem but it has to do something with the database. If I download the live database to my local installation, then I can not update the articles I created online only those I have created locally. So what happens is that any information tha was made locally can nto change on the live site and the opposite. I think is not really a text pattern problem but do yoy have any ideas how to synchronise the databases?

Both servers are running MySQL 4.1.14and PHP 5.0.5

I still dont get how the search works in textpattern. I want to make a section called “search”, asign a page to that section, then I want all the search forms on my site (two different search forms, one to search the whole site, another to search a number of presellected section) to show the results in that search page, how you can achieve that.

The native language of the website is Greek. (this can explain my bad english!). So the first thought is to change the language of textpattern but then, some plugins, those that have to do with time doesn’t show the dates and the months in greek characters! Any ideas.

So these are my questions for the moment. I would like to thank one more time all the people that work with textpattern, It is by far one of the most flexible and stable systems I used. It is fast, you can do everything you like with your content.

I LOVE TXP….

Ups so sorry for my big post….

#2 2006-12-16 09:27:05

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: This is a very big post full of questions about search, localisation..

I still dont get how the search works in textpattern. I want to make a section called “search”, asign a page to that section, then I want all the search forms on my site (two different search forms, one to search the whole site, another to search a number of presellected section) to show the results in that search page, how you can achieve that.

there usd to be an “advanced search plugin::http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=4776 but I don’t know if it works on 404

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2006-12-16 13:20:36

maniqui
Website

Hi.

About your question number 2, you can check this:
Using search in Textpattern

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2006-12-16 15:46:14

satsilem

Thank you my friends I will check those solutions>
Keep helping all the new textpattern users!

#5 2006-12-16 17:42:34

snkhan
Website

Hi satsilem,

I asked the same question relating to the search, and thought I’d paste my code, should save you some time! (It is based on the above link).

1. Create a new section called search. Set all radio buttons to ‘off’ or ‘no’;
  2. Create a new page called search. Design this as the results page of the search. The code I used was:

<txp:output_form form="search_new" />
<txp:article limit=10 pgonly=1 />
<txp:if_search>
<p>Total of <txp:search_result_count />. You may also wish to consider checking the <a href="members/archives/" title="Check the archives">archives</a> or using the sitemap.</p>
<txp:article limit=10 />
</txp:if_search>

txp:article is called twice so that I can display the total results found before I present the results. Another nice touch would be

<h1>Search <txp:if_search>Results</txp:if_search></h1>

This changes the text to display Search when the search form is not submitted, but otherwise shows Search Results.

1. Create a new form. Call it whatever you wish. If you’re going by my example above, call the form search_new. The code I used is:

<form action="members/search/" method="get">
<input type="text" name="q" value="" size="55" width="400px;" />
<input type="image" name="search" src="../assets/images/search.png" style="border: 0; padding-left: 5px;" />
</form>

You could just use textpattern’s default search form <txp:search_input label="Search" section="article" /> however the above method allows you to have greater control is designing the search control.

1. Once you’ve done this, go to to sections page again, and ensure that the ‘uses page’ has been set to search (or whatever else you called your search page).

Last edited by snkhan (2006-12-16 17:45:46)

#6 2006-12-18 07:27:21

satsilem

Thats great my friend, it works like a charm!

Problem 2: “the search Problem” SOLVED.

Thank you so much, any ideas for the other things?

Board footer