Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-12-15 20:43:07

saccade
Plugin Author

Reloading in Browser

Maybe this is a stupid question – but I couldn’t find any information:

Browsing with Firefox 2.0 the reload isn’t working any longer for me.
Whether I change css or make little adjustments (add txp-tags) – even random images – do not show up correctly. The old side is shown again (though something was downloaded from the server).
Only if I change text in an article, changes take effect.

So I have to clear the cache every time I want to reflect changes in my articles/sites.

What happened and how can I reload again correctly?

I tried IE 6 and here everything worked as before. (But I really want to work with Firefox!)

Thanks for any help.

#2 2006-12-15 21:53:08

alesh
Website

Re: Reloading in Browser

No help here, except to report that I have intermittently been experiencing the same problem, beginning abruptly and very recently. I too suspected the Firefox 2.0 upgrade, though it didn’t begin right after.

Strange…

Yes, I have tried turning it off and on.

#3 2006-12-15 21:56:08

dbulli
Website

if you are making frequent changes, turn off “send last modified headers” in the advanced > preferences tab …

you are correct that the last modified headers doesn’t get changed unless you change the article, i think presentation or css changes or even form changes constitutes a modified state .. but alas it doesn’t

So if you are building turn it off… when you launch put it back on to save some bandwidth ..

btw: clearing cache is a cinch when you use web developer add on

nuff-respec ::: dannyb

#4 2006-12-15 21:57:09

saccade
Plugin Author

it didn’t begin right after.

The same here, I can remember it was ok some days ago.

#5 2006-12-15 22:03:02

saccade
Plugin Author

@dbulli,
wow, thank you. It is working smoothly now.

But can you teach me some details?
Why doesn’t it effect IE and only Firefox? And why does it seem to change intermittently in Firefox (if my impression is true)?

I think bandwidth isn’t really a problem for me, so I could imagine to let it off, if it causes my random images not working for people who browse with Firefox.

#6 2006-12-15 22:14:09

dbulli
Website

But can you teach me some details?
Why doesn’t it effect IE and only Firefox? And why does it seem to change intermittently in Firefox (if my impression is true)?

_I am no browser expert or any kind of expert, but it may have to do with what happens when you press reload. _

IE may clear all the cache content and redownload everything without regards to the “last-modified / e-tag” headers (those are headers used by browsers for caching .. i think Etag is the newer standard).

Firefox 2.0 on the other hand .. looks to not delete the cache and checks to see what has a different date. I think older version may have been similar to IE’s behavior.

With non dynamic pages and static css files .. this is not a problem when you hit reload because the date is based on the date of the file …. With the dynamic pages textpattern sends the dates … I think it’s not implemented the best way possible as when certain things change i think EVERYTHING has really changed, but that is not the case, it goes by article modified date. And it really only matters usually per browser session, so someone would have to catch you mid stream to not being able to reload. I am not sure about the CSS last-modified (i use an external css file) …

Still it’s probably better than the alternative for high traffic sites to save some bandwidth, and ok for you to have it off. One day I want to see textpattern output static pages !! Damn I wrote more than I intended to.

#7 2006-12-15 22:32:30

dbulli
Website

And why does it seem to change intermittently in Firefox (if my impression is true)?

It might be intermittent based on what you change… article yes, css i dunno, etc … but also firefox may have it’s own timeout for a cache when it also gets new content .. if the cache is full .. all voodoo to me .. i remember “SUPER RELOAD” was hittin Ctr/Command when hitting reload which would clear the cache .. the doesn’t work with 2.0 on a Mac as far as I can tell.

#8 2006-12-15 22:43:08

saccade
Plugin Author

@dbulli
thank you, so I’ll leave it off for now and see, if I will run into traffic problems. But normally I keep my sites small so this shouldn’t get a real problem.

I have some other pages with random images following my design concept. It would be a lack, if they weren’t seen by users the way I intended (I indeed want users to play around and reload to see new images once they notice the dynamic character).

#9 2006-12-16 00:01:50

dbulli
Website

no prob .. my internal pages also have random images, that as of right now are not random per session in firefox… i can live with that.. with “send-last-modified” headers on i am not sure you can have random images…

i am considering turning mine off too … i am no where near my monthly bandwidth allowance.. but for now i will leave it alone …

#10 2006-12-16 17:33:54

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

FYI: there were some bugs remaining with the last mod thing in 4.0.4, which have been fixed in svn.

#11 2006-12-16 23:30:12

alesh
Website

there were some bugs remaining with the last mod thing in 4.0.4, which have been fixed in svn.

AHA! So what we have, then, is an interaction between idiosyncracies in Firefox and TXP4.0.4! Just for the record, average users and wannabe hackers such as myself should stay clear of svn, right? I mean, I wouldn’t know how to get into it even if I wanted to . . .

Yes, I have tried turning it off and on.

#12 2006-12-17 20:20:46

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

…should stay clear of svn, right?

Yep. Don’t worry, a proper release will be coming along soon enough. Until then you can simply turn this functionality off, and Textpattern will act as it always has before.

Last edited by Mary (2006-12-17 20:21:12)

Board footer