Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-12-13 13:01:16

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Another license question

Hi, to all.
(As I don’t know anything about licensing)

The case:

A template set for TXP ported from another static template, based on a copyrighted version thereof.

1. Original Template will be converted to either GPL or LGPL. ( excluded third party image files )
  2. Third party Image files will be licensed for electronic redistrubution from my part.
  3. part of the graphic files are my copyright, and
  4. a fraction of the graphic files are original creators’s copyright and can be used with owners permission.
  5. Icons are GPL and RF

Could anyone tell me, which are the advantages and/or disadvantages to relaease under either GPL or LGPL?

Intended usage should be both corporate and non-commercial for TXP version 4.0.4

NOTE: Basically, to simplify the question: I’d prefer, that both creator copyright notices and TXP notice be present
on the Template (preferably) or at least in the CSS file or somewhere for both commercial and non-commercial use.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2006-12-13 13:45:19)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#2 2006-12-13 14:51:07

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Another license question

marios wrote:

NOTE: Basically, to simplify the question: I’d prefer, that both creator copyright notices and TXP notice be present on the Template (preferably) or at least in the CSS file or somewhere for both commercial and non-commercial use.

Most template designers are going towards a Creative Commons license.

I would make it so that they can’t remove any notices from either the template or CSS. Now when I mean template, I mean a comment that would appear in the view source output, not necessarily in the footer. You can ask politely to leave footer credits alone or ask them to give credit somewhere visible on the site, like an about page, but I wouldn’t force things on people.

#3 2006-12-13 15:11:56

marios
Archived Plugin Author

hcgtv wrote:

marios wrote:

NOTE: Basically, to simplify the question: I’d prefer, that both creator copyright notices and TXP notice be present on the Template (preferably) or at least in the CSS file or somewhere for both commercial and non-commercial use.

Most template designers are going towards a Creative Commons license.

I would make it so that they can’t remove any notices from either the template or CSS. Now when I mean template, I mean a comment that would appear in the view source output, not necessarily in the footer. You can ask politely to leave footer credits alone or ask them to give credit somewhere visible on the site, like an about page, but I wouldn’t force things on people.

@hcgtv, does it conflict with the existing License terms ?

( The download contains plugins (GPL) , graphic files, as mentioned above, plus a couple of Sample Images ( for demo purpuses only, most likely RF extended license )

(BTW.: thanks for the resource hint, didn’t know about it )

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2006-12-13 15:15:28)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#4 2006-12-13 15:20:15

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

marios wrote:

( The download contains plugins (GPL) , graphic files, as mentioned above, plus a couple of Sample Images ( for demo purpuses only, most likely RF extended license )

What you’re licensing are the pages, forms and styles. The plugins and images would have whatever license they had originally, just clarify that in your docs.

Last edited by hcgtv (2006-12-13 15:20:28)

#5 2006-12-13 15:39:52

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Ok, I think I’ve sorted it out.
( Actually the link that you provided, and the other T at CSS Heaven, gave me a better Idea, how they deal with this)

(thanks again)

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2006-12-13 15:41:52)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

Board footer