Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-12-11 18:12:07

scronje
Website

3 sections on front page, all playing nicely together

My apologies if this is obvious, but as Bob Dylan says, this is where my mind begins to bend. I have built a couple of working txp sites (see Three Loose Nuts, as well as Kududu Guest House), but now I wish to upgrade our home blog, and need assistance from those with bigger brains with cleaner windows.

What I have:

The most recent article of three different sections displayed on the front page. (A “main” article, a picture, and an “aside” article, containing tidbits not worthy of a full article). This works well. I have set up a dummy site on an unused domain to get a feel for how things play together. See trial area. The site is still very rudimentary, and there are no section pages yet. The picture uses the ibox javascript.

What I am trying to do:

1. Get the links that I generate for the “previous main articles” to display on the front page, in the “main” area.
<txp:article_custom form="fp_asides_recent" section="asides" offset="1" limit="5" />
2. Get the links that I generate for the aside section to display on the front page, in the “aside” area.
<txp:article_custom form="fp_asides_recent" section="article" offset="1" limit="5" />

I have not been able to find a way to change that action correctly. I have managed to get the aside to display in the main article area, but that is not what I want.

3. Get the new page that is generated to remember / respect the current selection in the other area. In other words, if the current main article I am viewing is NOT the most recent, how do I change the current aside article to another one without going back to the most recent main article when the page displays?

I think that my problem arises in not understanding how the front page is generated correctly, at least for a start.

So, to clarify:

1. I want the links to display on the main page, in their own area, without mucking with the other area in the process.
2. I still want to use section pages for “go to the archives”, or something like that, but I have not yet set that up. I know how to do this.

It feels like it should be obvious, but it isn’t to me!
Many thanks for any pointers, and your patience!

Last edited by scronje (2006-12-11 18:13:19)

Board footer