Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-11-30 17:17:10

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Windows Vista

Beginning Thursday, businesses that buy Windows licenses in bulk have first crack at the new operating system, called Vista. Consumers can get Vista on home PCs beginning Jan. 30.

NOV 26
Posted by Borat

I would make romance inside of her if she had LINUX or BSD inside!
9:38 AM on November 26, 2006

#2 2006-11-30 21:13:07

slim

Re: Windows Vista

It’ll be interesting to see how this new OS makes the computing experience easier and more efficient, or if all the new features of Vista (Aero, that tilted window thingy, the new media player that looks like they kidnapped a development team from the Apple campus) are just eye candy.

Vista has been touted as revolutionary (I have heard that Vista is as revolutionary as Windows 95 was back in, oh, 1995). A new OS that is put up as revolutionary needs to make very large leaps in redefining the GUI. Sort of how Mac OSX did for the Apple line of OS’s. I am anxious to see if Microsoft can hold up to expectations, or if this is going to go the road of their latest “iPod killer”.

Thankfully we have Borat leaving his professional opinion, as an expert in journalistic reporting. Read thru some of the comments on the VistaBlog. They are pretty entertaining.

#3 2006-11-30 21:59:07

edeverett
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’ve had a quick play with Vista over the last week (work is a Microsoft gold partner .NET place). It’s really very impressive.

before I used it I was a complete sceptic – the first thing i do to any XP system is turn it back to classic mode, but the Vista UI is very very nice, and is definatly making me think seriously about getting a new PC in the new year. It certainly has taken a lot hints from OSX, but it’s used them sensibly and not just as frivilous styling. (I’ve never been a big fan of actually using a Mac interface). And the default black theme is very cool.

I’ll stop now before I start sounding like a MS fanboy.

Ed.

#4 2006-12-03 19:30:33

NyteOwl

Given the restrictions on everything a user tries to do, convoluted and oppresive EULA/Licencing and exhorbinant hardware requirements Vista should have “Hasta La” in front of it. There are patches out already for it – great quality control.

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination. / 36-bits Forever! / #include <disclaimer.h>;

#5 2006-12-03 20:54:12

marios
Archived Plugin Author

I will not express any opinions on the subject, allthough I have been reading a couple of Expert articles that didn’t look so good in money/value terms.

Instead I’ll just quote a comment, that I found on the Ubuntu Forums today, that made me wonder again:

FineE sayd:

I voted $400 but I will not be getting it. The reason TCO (Total Cost of Ownership)

The cost of a Windows Vista License is only a small part of the total cost of ownership as Microsoft has quite rightly pointed out on many occasions.

Consider this:

The cost of maintaining anti virus and anti spyware subscriptions.
The cost of upgrading commercial software applications. The whole point of running Windows is for the most part to run commercial software.
The cost of monitoring license compliance, dealing with anti piracy issues such as activation, WGA and the new SPP (Software Protection Platform). This can be huge because the ability of Microsoft to cripple a Vista installation remotely in an attempt to fight piracy creates a singe point of failure for millions of PC’s worldwide, and is vulnerable to all sorts of risks ranging from mis configured servers (this actually already happened with XP WGA) to a terrorist attack.
The cost of the risk associated with the DRM platform particularly on 64 bit Vista. Vista is designed to allow certain processes to be protected and hidden from the user in order to prevent copying of “premium” content from the MPAA and RIAA etc. The trouble is the same technology could also be used install malware and prevent it from being removed. If fact the user may not even know its there. Its like allowing a Trojan Horse into your system. What if a criminal or terrorist organization figures out a way to crack the DRM in order to use it to cripple millions of Vista PC’s worldwide, and the users cannot fight back? I find it hard to associate a cost with this risk but it is a risk that I am not willing to take.
One can probably think of more “hidden” costs associated with Vista.

The discussion is going on here

The results of the Poll show, that only around 20% of Users would be willing to pay 100$ for it,
and only around 4% of Users would be willing to pay 400$ for the full Bells and Whistle version.
(Linux Users)

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2006-12-03 21:12:43)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#6 2006-12-04 18:07:22

NyteOwl

We’ll likely get one copy for the shop so we have a platform to use for testing, same as we did for XP and 2k

Daily operations run on FreeBS, OpenBSD, Slackware (Linux), Debian (Linux), Solaris (Unix) and QNX (real-time Unix).

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination. / 36-bits Forever! / #include <disclaimer.h>;

#7 2006-12-04 19:07:08

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Vista will enter my domain by way of a new PC I may buy in the future, but that’s a long time off in my view, unless something craps out on me.

NyteOwl, just curious, what do you use the different Unixes for?

#8 2006-12-06 21:08:38

NyteOwl

The routers and firewalls run on OpenBSD, servers are running FreeBSD and Slackware. The regular office desktops are on Debian (though that may be changing). Workstations are running Free/Slack/Solaris and the machine that handles network and enviromental monitoring (including the alarm system) is running on a QNX box. There are also a couple of testing machines that are used for everything. It’s a diverse lot that has built up over time. We’re looking at streamlining it a bit in the new year though so far it has been working with only minor hiccups.

#9 2006-12-07 00:40:35

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

NyteOwl, I ran a firewall for many years using OpenBSD on a 486 box, the most secure system I’ve ever come across. On the Debian change of heart, might you be trying out Ubuntu? I’ve tried both Ubuntu Dapper and Edgy and I’m running Debian Etch on my laptop now. Other than the fonts, which Ubuntu does a really good job of, Etch seems to runs faster on the same hardware.

#10 2006-12-11 20:38:59

NyteOwl

The desktops would likely be going Slackware or FreeBSD to minimize the number of variants. Debian was originally used as it was a “quick and dirty” solution to easy updates using apt but one session of fighting with broken dependencies eliminates the time saved using apt :) It really isn’t any harder to use the package tools in Slack or ports so that looks like the route we may go if we eliminate the Debian boxes (only 2 at the moment).

#11 2006-12-12 02:50:47

jm
Plugin Author
Website

hcgtv wrote:

Beginning Thursday, businesses that buy Windows licenses in bulk have first crack at the new operating system, called Vista.

Ha! You said Windows and crack in the same sentence :P. (It’s been a long day)

Board footer