Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-11-30 05:00:30

slim

Community Sites

I have a prospective customer that is interested in a community site. It will have basically the following requirements.

• Multiple users, ideally with a signup on the web side, not the “add user” feature on the textpattern admin side.
  • Each user will be able to post articles, in specific categories, and add or edit by logging in, again on the web side, and having a “my account” page that will show the posts, and be able to add, delete, edit from there.
  • People will be able to comment on the articles.

It boils down to a dynamic content site with multiple authors, like a webmag, but without going thru the admin interface. I have never done anything like this with textpattern, and honestly don’t even know that it is possible. I have high hopes though.

Do you have links to references, examples, or reading that I could investigate this further? Are there plugins for this sort of thing?

Maybe textpattern is not the way to go on this one, perhaps I should look for more of a forum interface such as PunBB.

Any suggestions?

#2 2006-11-30 05:50:01

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Community Sites

A good example of a community site is Textpattern Resources. The plugin, mem_self_register is used for multiple users (in addition to numerous others). However, I don’t know if it’d be possible, or why you’d want to use another interface for posting content. With the right permissions for authors (writer, freelancer, etc), things should be fine with the TXP interface.

If you need something with full on forums, member pages, and basically mini-websites, Drupal might be worth taking a look at. Drupal is a scary beast that has its uses, but it’s learning curve is quite steep in my opinion.

Last edited by jm (2006-11-30 05:50:53)

Board footer