Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-11-12 23:29:34

veggiegrrl

Create a duplicate installation?

I want to duplicate my existing website in a subdirectory so I can play with it without messing up what the world sees. I have not been able to figure out how to do this. I’ve tried using phpMyAdmin and rss_admin_db_manager.

The problem seems to be that I have to create a new database so I don’t overwrite my real data. When I make a new database, it doesn’t want to let me put the old data in.

Any database experts have an idea for me so I don’t have to re-enter everything by hand?

#2 2006-11-13 00:42:23

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Create a duplicate installation?

Have you thought of doing a test site locally? On Windows you can use XAMPP, on a Mac, there’s MAMP, they’re very easy to setup and use.

As for the subdirectory, use phpMyAdmin to backup the database and then import it into the new one. Then copy your existing site into the subdirectory, you’ll need to change the config.php in the /textpattern subdirectory and some options in the admin preferences.

The only issue that may popup is with the cookie you use to sign on to your domain, it should distinguish between the main site and the subdirectory one but I don’t know. If it doesn’t, you’ll get signed off of one every time you sign on to the other.

Board footer