Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-11-07 01:22:12

simoo

Hierarchies/relations between articles

Hi,

I am looking into Textpattern as an option to base a site for a record label on. Reason being that there are lots of pages for artists and their releases which seems suitable for a CMS approach, obviously on top of this there are other benefits such as news, blogs, forum, searching etc.

Would be ace if someone could enlighten me on a couple of points though. I’ve tried to find this out for myself but I’m very new to TP.

1: Is there a good way of defining hierarchies and/or relationships between articles. Say that I want to be able to browse artists and for every artist have a discography where each release is an article, would that be possible?

2: Is there a feature/plugin which would be suitable for listing upcoming events/gigs?

Thanks a lot,
Simon

Last edited by simoo (2006-11-07 01:23:31)

#2 2006-11-07 01:38:24

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Hierarchies/relations between articles

1. You can use sections and categories, EX:
    1. section = Ska
      1. category = Third Wave. Users can access “Third Wave Ska” with http://mysite.com/ska/?c=Third-Wave. If the users want to see music from any genre with the “Third Wave” category/style, they’d use http://mysite.com/Third-Wave/. There are tags for all this too ;).
  2. I think you can use the future attribute, but I’ve never needed to. Here’s one plugin

Have you tried the demo?

Last edited by jm (2006-11-07 01:40:44)

#3 2006-11-07 23:27:57

nardo

depending on your specific needs… u can use built-in tags to deal with upcoming events/gigs

#4 2006-11-09 13:07:51

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

event list – see my plugin link below.
you’ll find it working on my website in the live-dates section

Last edited by jayrope (2006-11-09 13:08:52)

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

#5 2006-11-21 12:50:32

simoo

Thanks for your replies!

jayrope: I’ll look into the events list plugin, cheers

jm: so how would i use sections and categories to organize a artist/record hierarchy? each band is a section and has a category “records”?
also how do i then set up a separate “catalogue” page which simply lists ALL records (e.g. by year)?

thanks,
simon

Last edited by simoo (2006-11-21 21:29:32)

#6 2006-11-25 20:27:50

anoke
Archived Plugin Author

You would have sections “bands” and “records-by-year”. Each band would get their own category. You could use second category to describe the record. You could use custom fields and keywords to provide metadata (like “release date”, “label”, “etc..”).

If you think creating a new article the fields would go something like:
  • title: album/record title
  • article: record text
  • category1: band name
  • category2: album / ep / compilation
  • custom1: label
  • custom2: year
  • custom3: month
  • custom4: day

( You could take a shortcut and use article’s publish date to ‘fake’ release dates but you would miss ‘recently added’-functionality then..)

- When chickens are cold, they roost in trees; when ducks are cold, they plunge into water -

Board footer