Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-11-04 17:47:27

reptilerobots

user re-sorting an article list w/ custom fields, cats. - easiest way?

I am working on a website for a Norwegian metal band that over the last 12 years or so has had 5 different albums 15 different members or so (a few floating ones) and shares several members with other bands.

I want to make a page that is an archive list of all of the members. My plan is for each member to be an article, so their name would be the title, and I would have 2 or 3 custom fields for the other bands they were in, a custom field for which albums they played on (which would be up to 4-5 custom fields for some members), and maybe the article body would just say the years they were in the band and if they were current members, session members, or just played live.

I want the user to be able to look at this list which would at first display the current line up, and then the line up for the new album “Supervillian Outcast”… which is different from the current line up because the drummer had a very bad accident and they got a new keyboard/FX guy…. confusing isnt it?? Then underneath it, there would be an alphabetical list of previous members.

Current members
(list of current)

Supervillian Outcast lineup
(list of last album lineup)

Previous members
(list of previous members)

I can do what I want as described above, but the next step I am unsure of the best way to do, which would be have somewhere around the list a dropdown, or links that say sort by album, instrument, other bands, year, etc. What would be the best way to accomplish that? My first guess is to make the custom form for how I want it to appear at first (as above) and then links to a page that display it by album, and then another page that display the info by year, or instrument… am I just overcomplicating things???

Any ideas would help me out! thanks alot….!!

#2 2006-11-04 20:55:57

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: user re-sorting an article list w/ custom fields, cats. - easiest way?

Take a look at this thread for sorting the same list by different criteria.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2006-11-06 18:56:23

reptilerobots

Re: user re-sorting an article list w/ custom fields, cats. - easiest way?

thanks I got it!

Board footer