Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-10-30 13:37:24

vanderkerkoff

Using textpattern's rss output on another site, by article ID

Hi there

Sorry to bother you guys with a stupid question but our Texpatern boffin is away and I need to sort something out.

I believe that rss_supaarchive is giving me the ability to do the following, I can see it installed, and it behaves very much like the instructions on how to use it here

http://www.wilshireone.com/textpattern-plugins/rss-suparchive

Here’s my dilemna

Someone in our content team wants to expose an article in a section of money, and a category of money and an article id of 204, using the rss output, on another one of our Django powered sites.

Now I can see the output of the section, and the output of the category, and the section and category together, but how do I get the output of the single article by it’s articleid using rss?

this works
http://www.glam.ac.uk/rss/?section=money&category=money

but this shows me everything as I thin it doesn’t know how to handle the articleid field

http://www.glam.ac.uk/rss/?section=money&category=money&articleid=204

the docs for supaarchive don’t show an articleid parameter so I’m guessing it’s not possible with this plugin

we cna’t upgrade from 4.0.2 at the moment, so please don’t tell me that an upgrade will fix it :-)

is there another plugin that will do what I want?

any help, greatly appreciated

#2 2006-10-30 14:40:37

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Re: Using textpattern's rss output on another site, by article ID

Hi vanderkerkoff,

we cna’t upgrade from 4.0.2 at the moment,

In the long run not upgrading always costs more than upgrading.

rss_superarchive has nothing to do with rss-feeds. the first three letters of every plugin are (by convention) the initials of the developer of the plugin; think of it as a simple way of achievieng some sort of namespacing. That plugin is (IIRC) responsible for creating different kinds of archive-pages.

What you wish to do is not possible out of the bx with textpattern, for the simple reason that such an API to get the content from every article would be an open invitation for content-grabbers/-spammers to steel tons and tons of articles from sites, including meta-data, and without having to worry about parsing/seperating it. Most people do want to make their whole site available to the world like that.

What you are looking for, however could be achieved by a plugin. Personally I would recommend to fetch the article from the db directly from Django. Textpattern stores the articles in a parsed format, so you wouldn’t have to worry about textile etc. when doing so.

#3 2006-10-30 14:52:51

vanderkerkoff

Hi Sencer

Thanks for clearing that rss bit up at the beginning of the plugins, it was throwing me off course wildly.

I’ve done some digging and can see that it has nothing to do with it:-)

Your point of not making content available like that as content-grabbers/spammers would steel things, is it not as easy for them to steal it using categories and sections then? Or is the headache of finding the section and category enought to put them off?

I suppose writing an algorithm to run from 0 to 10000 is alot easier than manually finding the section and cateogry name ;-)

I don’t really want to pull the data out of the db directly using django, as I might well need to output this data on other systems running other software. We use one hell of alot of different server technologies here. Lucky ole me.

So back to your plugin idea.

I can’t wuite see the logic here, can you help?

is it

Create a customised plugin that will create an rss feed out of the article, using the articles ID.

Put that customised plugin into the article page? Or somethign like that.

I can’t wuite see how I’m going to get at that rss output to read it into the django page? What would be the url?

Sencer, thanks again mate for your help.

#4 2006-10-30 15:06:26

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Create a customised plugin that will create an rss feed out of the article, using the articles ID.

Yes.

I can’t wuite see how I’m going to get at that rss output to read it into the django page? What would be the url?

You would create a plugin that checked the request-uri for specific elements and if met, it would “take over” and generate the output, in whichever format you want (be it rss or something custom). I am sure that when you ask your PHP-guy he’ll know what to look for. If you want to get started with plugin-development:
http://textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Plugin_Development_Topics
http://svn.textpattern.com/development/4.0-plugin-template/

There’s also at least one feed-generating plugin (comment-related) if you want to get some ideas (maybe someone else can help with the name here).

#5 2006-10-31 10:22:54

vanderkerkoff

Sencer, anyone know that the name of the feed-generating plugin is?

Is it magpie or something like that?

#6 2006-10-31 10:29:56

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Board footer