Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-10-29 19:02:30

progre55

Search Drop Down

On the site I am currently designing, I have a search area on the home page. The search area contains five seperate search boxes with a button next to each one. There is a method for the madness, so please trust me. I can not group them all in one box.

Two of the boxes are categories and three of the boxes match up to custom fields. For the categories I plan on converting the category list to a drop down. I think I can and do not expect any real problems. Easy to say now, before trying.

My question pertains to the remaining three that match up to custom fields. I have already expanded the search capability to look into the custom fields and it works great.

BUT, Is there a way to create a drop down box for these fields on the site visitor side so that when they select from the pull down it searches the custom fields and locates the appropriate matching articles.

If you are wondering why I am not creating them all as categories, it is based on the fact that on the Amin side I have already created an easy to use interface for the client using drop down boxes in the custom fields. Although I like catgeories, because the articles will have more then 2 categories each, even though I am using Rob’s unlimited plug in, it is not as clean and easy to use for the client when tagging information.

Sorry for the long post, and sorry if it confuses anyone (ie Els) but any assiatnce would be appreciated.

By the way, thank again El’s for the highlighting assistance.

Progre55

#2 2006-10-29 20:37:40

els

Re: Search Drop Down

:) You’re welcome. And it doesn’t confuse me, that is I think I understand your question, BUT I don’t know the answer :-P But I’m sure someone else will come along… ;)

#3 2006-10-30 02:52:17

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Make a plugin (see sticky in Plugins board).

#4 2006-10-30 16:59:02

progre55

Els and Mary:

Thanks for the assistance.

Board footer