Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-10-24 18:45:23

dingoboy

Ability to escape from PHP to HTML?

It is a big hope of mine that I will one day be able to escape from PHP code within <txp:php> ... </txp:php> to HTML, now that the use of regular starting/closing tags (<?php and ?>) have been deprecated in version 4.0.4.

In my oppinion, it is not a sattisfying solution, having to make every piece of PHP code a valid block of code by itself, as stated in the FAQ about PHP use.

Is there any hope of such an improvement? :-)

Last edited by dingoboy (2006-10-24 21:27:53)

#2 2006-10-24 19:34:41

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Re: Ability to escape from PHP to HTML?

In the Textpattern context, it’s hideously ugly and hackish and goes against how the the whole textpattern-tag sytem is intended to work. There’s proper ways for dealing with such needs, like writing a quick plugin, or using output_form. And for other cases there is stil heredocs:

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/language.types.string.php#language.types.string.syntax.heredoc

<txp:php>
if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] == '/section/666/oh-god-help-me') {
echo <<<MYHEREDOCMARKER
<h3>Special stuff</h3>
<txp:article_custom section="foo" sortby="title" sortdir="asc" category="bar" form="lofi" limit="50" listform="resume" />
MYHEREDOCMARKER;
}
</txp:php>

Having said that, everthing inside <txp:php> … </txp:php> is evaluated as regular php-code, and that includes shorttags like ?> and <? (and the long versions as well). So inside the code-block nobody can stop you from switching back and forth between html and code with those – I wouldn’t recommend it though, as it it’s too easy to shoot yourself in the foot. So forget I mentioned this. ;)

#3 2006-10-24 19:41:01

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

For completion, here is the clean way to quickly add tag via a plugin:

http://svn.textpattern.com/development/4.0-plugin-template/zem_plugin_example.php

function asy_if_uri($atts, $thing) {
extract(lAtts(array(
	'uri'  => '',
),$atts));
return parse(EvalElse($thing, ($uri == $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'])));
}

And your template would look as clean as ever:

<txp:asy_if_uri uri="/section/666/oh-god-help-me">
<h3>Special stuff</h3>
<txp:article_custom section="foo" sortby="title" sortdir="asc" category="bar" form="lofi" limit="50" listform="resume" />
</txp:asy_if_uri>

And if you wanted you could even add a <txp:else /> inside the conditional in the template.

Last edited by Sencer (2006-10-24 19:43:03)

#4 2006-10-24 21:30:34

dingoboy

Sencer: Awesome. Thanks!

Board footer