Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-10-20 18:43:47

oddhNP

Blog-section on front page

Hi,
I am a new forum member and are at this stage considering Textpattern as my new CMS. I have only minor programming skills, know how to build some easy “dynamic HTML-stuff” with JavaScript, HTML and CSS. As far as I can understand it should not be to difficult to modify for example the frontpage of my Textpattern webpage with different sections using CSS?
My main question covers however ground I am not at all sure about how I can do manage to build. I want to have a section on my front page that shows what some possibly call a “blogroll” …? How I understand this term is that it is a list giving the abstract of the last posts on a blog? I want to make a photoblog under my site. It should not show up on the main page (other than the blogroll), it should live more for itself, possibly under a separate subdomain (is that possibly, or necessary?), and possibly with a separate design (?). On my frontpage then I would want a section showing thumbnails of my last photos, and their title.
My question is then at last only if this should be possible with Textpattern? Hard work? Are there a blog-plugin already ready?
I would be very glad if someone could give me answers on these questions – thanks in advance!

Regards,
Odd Harald Hansen, Norway

#2 2006-10-20 19:47:37

els

Re: Blog-section on front page

This is all possible with Textpattern, without a plugin, and not even really hard to accomplish :) You can give your sections all different page templates and different style sheets, so they can look like completely different sites, if you wish.
Your photoblog could be a section, yoursite.com/photoblog/. And it’s easy to show titles and thumbnails from there on the front page, using the article or article_custom tag and a specific article form to display it the way you want.

The only thing I don’t know is if and how it can be made to work within one Textpattern install if you insist on having the photoblog in a subdomain, like photoblog.yoursite.com.

#3 2006-10-20 21:12:31

oddhNP

Re: Blog-section on front page

Thanks Els, that’s reassuring enough for me, I will go for Textpattern.

Board footer