Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-10-13 18:05:09

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Spam begone

With some more hacking, I’ve got a few more anti-spam measures in place.

One of which is that untrusted (new) forum members cannot email other members. This means we should be able to avoid this in the future, and you may set your email privacy preference (“Privacy” in your Profile) to “Hide your e-mail address but allow form e-mail”, if you so desire.

Becoming a “trusted” member: there is no formula, so there’s absolutely no possibility of something stupid like say multiple spam posting and then being able to email users. Nope, can’t happen, so don’t waste your time.

Another measure is that user profiles and the user list are no longer publicly accessible, so there is no possibility of registering an account just to try and leech the Textpattern site page rank either.

Our members are vigilant, reporting spam at top-rate speed, getting accounts banned and deleted at the blink of an eye. This is on top of the user registration being screened twice, once by having to have a real email address in order to login, and once by a human overseeing all new registrations as they happen.

I’d recommend you vile spammers moving on to an easier target, because it will only become more difficult to get anywhere in this neck of the woods.

#2 2006-10-13 20:04:12

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Spam begone

Mary wrote:

I’d recommend you vile spammers moving on to an easier target, because it will only become more difficult to get anywhere in this neck of the woods.

:)

On a side note, we have been discussing ways to combat spam in the next version of PunBB. Mind you, forums of any size and shape are targets, whether they are Open Source or the almighty vBulletin.

The problem we face is allowing a good user experience while locking out spambots, it’s not easy and it’s a constant battle.

#3 2008-02-08 21:07:44

Neko

Re: Spam begone

Mary wrote:

That’s the Mary we like: authoritative and lethal. :)))

(thanks for all the forum hacks!)

Board footer