Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-10-04 01:23:59

deronsizemore

Is this the correct way to layout my site using article_custom?

I’m going to make a few changes to my site, and I need to know if I’m on the right track with what I want to do? Currently I’ve got this: <a href=“http://www.kentuckygolfing.com”>MY SITE</a>

As you see it now, the three articles on the font page have the section “article” and are using <txp:article form="default" listform="excerpt" limit="3" /> to call the articles to the front page.

Here’s what I’m changing. Instead of displaying three articles on the front page, I’m only going to display one, which I know all I need to do there is use limit=1 instead of 3.

Now, I’m also going to be adding a couple areas on the homepage. I’m going to move the “Featured Course” section over from the middle area of the site, to the left area and have it set up like blog posts would be where everytime I write an article with a new featured course and assign the article to the “featured-course” section I want show the most recent article in that area on the homepage, so I’m wondering if I would just use this: <txp:article_custom form="featured_course" section="featured-course" /> so that in that particular area of the site, it ONLY shows articles affiliated with the “featured-course” section?

Also would I do the same for a news area on the homepage, where the only articles to show up in that area were articles assigned to the “news” section? I would just use <txp:article_custom form="news" section="news" /> and make sure I assign all my news articles to the “news” section before I publish? Will this conflict with using <txp:article form="default" listform="excerpt" limit="3" /> which is what I’ve currently got in my default template to show blog articles? Will I also need to make it article_custom?

Here is a .gif I threw together to give you a better idea of what I’m trying to accomplish. <a href=“http://www.deronsizemore.com/example.gif”>EXAMPLE</a>

Thanks

#2 2006-10-04 04:42:34

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Re: Is this the correct way to layout my site using article_custom?

Yes it would , either custom or you could filter by category, using and assigning e.g:blog
to those articles and this in your article form

<code><txp:if_article_category name=“blog”><txp:excerpt /></txp:if_article_category></code>

regards

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#3 2006-10-04 13:11:12

deronsizemore

Re: Is this the correct way to layout my site using article_custom?

hmmmm. At first glance I’m thinking to just different sections, but the more I think about it, I might try to just use categories. Like you say, either will work I guess. Like currently, I’ve got every blog post assigned to the “article” section. So I could still assign every new post (whether it be for featured course area of the site, blog, etc) to the “article” section and then just assign the category accordingly. So if I wanted an article to only show up in the featured course section, I would assign “article” as the section and then “featuredcourse” as the category and use the if article category tag.

I’m gonig to use different forms for each of these areas on the site though. The featured course articles will display slightly differently in that they wont be listing who wrote them, date, comments, etc. where as the actual blog posts will show the author, date, time, comments, etc. So in this case, I might have to use article custom just so I can use a different form for each area of the site?

Thoughts?

Board footer