Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-08-29 04:34:22

DigitalRealm
Website

Problem with contact form?

Hey everyone, I am using the zem_contact_reborn plug-in on my site and I am trying to figure out if there is a problem somewhere. I keep noticing that people are submitting forms to me but I am not getting them. The contact section of my site will be bold when you view the log files if the form got submitted. I tried this myself to be sure.

I CAN however submit the form myself and I get it just fine. Is there any reason why this would happen? Has anyone else possibly had this problem? I am wondering if I am missing something somewhere that I have just overlooked. Possibly something spam related by chance?

Any help is certainly appreciated!

<a href=“http://www.digitalrealmmedia.com”>http://www.digitalrealmmedia.com</a>

#2 2006-08-29 11:09:32

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Problem with contact form?

I’ve just used your form to submit a test message. Did it come through?
I didn’t get any errors, just the ‘thank you for contacting us’ message afterwards.

When you say: “The contact section of my site will be bold when you view the log files if the form got submitted.”, what does that mean, exactly?

Last edited by ruud (2006-08-29 11:10:39)

#3 2006-08-29 12:51:45

semanio

This is DigitalRealm logged in on a friends account.

Ruud, No I did not get your posted message. The bold page name under the Textpattern log tab represents a posted form according to the Textpattern dev site/change log. Thus, I can tell when my contact form is being submitted and when I should be receiving messages; however, like with your test I am not. The form clearly works however there must be a bug or some issue in the zem_contact_reborn plug-in that fails to send the e-mail under certain circumstances.

Again, I can submit the form myself and get it just fine. I have done this from 4 different computers and 3 different email addresses.

#4 2006-08-29 13:15:07

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Do you have any anti-spam plugins added and which version of zem_contact_reborn are you using?

Can you check the mail server logfiles to see if it was rejected there?
It can also be some anti-spam feature on your incoming mail.

If it’s none of the above, feel free to contact me through the e-mail link on the left and I’ll send you what I entered on the contact form (don’t like posting my email address here). It would be interesting to see what happens if you enter that yourself in the form. If that works, then the only difference is perhaps the browser used (Firefox on Linux) or the IPnr from which the submission originates. Both are unlikely to have any effect on zem_contact_reborn, because neither is checked.

Last edited by ruud (2006-08-29 13:15:51)

#5 2006-08-29 13:50:34

semanio

Ruud,

First and foremost, I actually did get your original message at 7:07 AM EST. I guess my mailserver was slow to deliver your message. With that said, here are my responses to your latest questions:

1. I did have the pap_cleaner spam filter/plug-in; I just disabled it.
  2. I did not have anti-spam on my incoming mail.
  3. I’m not sure how I would check the logfiles for my mailserver but I’ll work with my host to figure that out.

There is new light on this issue since I did receive your message.
I am beginning to think the issue was with the pap_cleaner plug-in. I’ll leave it disabled and see if my form works better. The other cause for a “submitted form” and no response may be that my visitors are submitting an empty form (for that still shows up as a post in the Textpattern log tab). Thus, I’ll work on getting some Javascript into the form to disable the “submit” button until the user/visitor has filled in their e-mail address.

Thank you for your help.

#6 2006-08-29 14:21:41

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

The bold entries in the log, do you see 5 of them posted at nearly the same time now? I just posted an empty form 5 times in a row. It shows me error messages (with enough feedback for users to correct their mistake and resubmit… no need for extra javascript checks), but it probably shows bold in the logs as well… could it be that you’re just seeing spammers or people who fail to submit valid form contents?

I doubt it’s pap_contact_cleaner…
  • pap_contact_cleaner just adds invisible checkboxes that only spammers would check.
  • zem_contact_reborn does some basic tests on the email address anyway (domain name must exist), so submitting an empty email address is not possible if you make it a required field (which it is on your contact form, as are the other fields).

You host should be able to help you with the mail server logfiles, especially if you provide the timestamps for when each post was submitted. I suspect that the mail is accepted by the mail server, so TXP doesn’t notice that anything is going wrong. The problem is likely to occur in a later phase of mail delivery. For diagnosing that you need the full mail server logs of all mail sent by your account.

If you know someone who tried to contact you through the contact form, but didn’t get their message through, try to find out what exactly they entered, so you can reproduce.

Last edited by ruud (2006-08-29 14:23:28)

#7 2006-08-29 21:50:54

DigitalRealm
Website

Ruud, I did see your 5 bold entries in the log and this is what I am imagining is happening on the site. People are submitting the form with nothing in it and it appears that they submitted something when they really didn’t.

It appears to be working fine at this point so I am just going to get a few other people to test it and see if I get the messages. I am going to try it both with and without pap_contact_cleaner just in case there may be some weird problem there.

Thanks again for the help, it really helped me out a lot!

#8 2006-08-30 00:03:00

oldcodger

Hiyya,

Thank you Ruud for your advice on this matter, I had the same problem :)

#9 2013-09-13 15:22:41

zainul.dss

hi All,

I have integrated the contact form and its working well.I have also redirect this to thanks page but when it came to thanks page some chunks characters added with thanks url like abcs.com/thanks#zcrd9c46fba5898fa2fdeb5fcf67bb67ebd.
So how we remove the last chunk chars after thanks

thanks
Zain

Board footer