Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-08-18 13:14:28

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

language archive for older version of TXP

Does anybody know if there is a online archive of language files of older Textpattern versions?

At the moment we have the problem, that there have been many changes in the languages files regarding TXP 4.0.4, but mostly everybody is using 4.0.3. If somebody updates the language file now or just does a fresh install of 4.0.3, there will be problems because some translated strings won’t fit anymore.

Any ideas how to solve this problem or where to find archived versions of the language files?

Last edited by Skubidu (2006-08-18 13:16:00)

#2 2006-08-18 13:22:15

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Re: language archive for older version of TXP

there will be problems because some translated strings won’t fit anymore

That shouldn’t usually be the case. We try to avoid that where possible.
I am assuming you mean the note about the german translation you made in the subforum? Can you detail the number of problems and how severe they are (may list them if they are not too many), so we can get a better feel for the scope of the problem. Thanks. :)

#3 2006-08-18 13:43:05

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’m sorry, that I can’t give you a concrete list.

I just noticed that several language strings have been modified over the last weeks/months as I updated the German translation some days ago. I can’t remember which strings have been affected. All in all it just have been small modifications: some strings have been shortend or rearranged and I think that there are only minor downgrade problems in the english files. But sometimes there is the need to translate the strings differently in German so it might happen something like that. I’m not sure if this special case was just a mistake in the German file but I remember similar problems that I have corrected in the current German language file (about 10-15 cases). Due to the recent changes of the admin lists (articles, images etc.) there was the need to create a new string for “View … per page” – this is the most visible problem if you use a recent version of the language files in 4.0.3: you would see “anzeigen … pro Seite” instead of “Zeige … pro Seite” if you’re using the German translation.

I don’t think it’s a big problem but it might be helpful for the future to save all language files when a new TXP version is published.
As I posted the note in the German forum I just thought this might be a problem if somebody does a language update, but in fact everybody who does a fresh install of 4.0.3 will see some strange translations.

#4 2006-08-18 16:44:45

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

…but it might be helpful for the future to save all language files when a new TXP version is published.

An already known problem. Just need to have version numbers saved (in some way) along with strings.

I’m not sure if this special case was just a mistake in the German file…

It is.

And, in fact, he’d see your correction from “few seconds” to “a few seconds” in German, once he updated his lang, he doesn’t have to wait for 4.0.4 to see the correction.

…but in fact everybody who does a fresh install of 4.0.3 will see some strange translations.

They’d see what they’ve seen before – whether it was, then, an accurate translation or not. What you’re describing is that 4.0.4 will have some better translation in some cases, than in 4.0.3, simply because it benefits from a new string. Whereas 4.0.3 is stuck with the crappier one, because of how some strings were constructed (without localisation in mind at all).

For example, in 4.0.3, you’d find embedded in PHP:

admin('email address changed to '.$new_email);

There’s nothing that can be done about that. 4.0.4 this was corrected, by changing the PHP to:

admin(
	gTxt('email_changed', array('{email}' => $new_email))
);

Now there’s a new string, where you can build a proper sentence in whatever language you’re using.

#5 2006-08-18 17:12:24

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

They’d see what they’ve seen before – whether it was, then, an accurate translation or not. What you’re describing is that 4.0.4 will have some better translation in some cases, than in 4.0.3, simply because it benefits from a new string. Whereas 4.0.3 is stuck with the crappier one, because of how some strings were constructed (without localisation in mind at all).

You are totally right, that there are great improvements concerning the way TXP handels the localisation – many things are now translatable that havn’t been before. The problem I’m discribing is that in some cases the German translation for 4.0.3 differs from the original English texts: Sometimes (as there is often more than one way to translate the English patterns) we choose translations that differed a bit from the English ones but fit better in the context. Now as you’ve improved all the tables in the admin area for 4.0.4 some English strings are used in a slightly different way. As an consequence some strings that have been using nouns in German are now using verbs because it’s much more appropriate. These improvements are great for 4.0.4 but they might look weird in the older versions, especially if strings are interacting.

So the only thing I’m saying (and that a reminder for me too): We should make backups of the language files after the release of a new version. Just in case somebody is using an older version, it would be possible for him to install the language file that fit best at the time his version was released.

#6 2006-08-18 19:52:08

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Judging from the example you gave, we’re talking about a little awkward grammatical positioning, yet the meaning is still conveyed sufficiently. I can still see that this is relevant, especially when it is sites for clients etc., but it’s not as grave an issue as the first post made it sound (to me at least).

We will eventually need different versions of language files, probably at the latest when crockery is ready for primetime. Making snapshots of the languag-files at certain points in time (independent of the release) sounds like a feasible thing to do. Assuming manual installation via a file is an ok solution.

I am not so keen on freezing minor-versions’ lang-files in the DB (on the xml-rpc server), as currently some languages drag behind a version or two sometimes, and having them stuck at whenever a lnguage was frozen for a minor version would be a step back IMHO. (Major releases are another issue of course)

#7 2006-08-19 06:09:25

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

… but it’s not as grave an issue as the first post made it sound (to me at least).

I’m sorry, Sencer, it was not my intention to create any kind of panic “that things are completely broken”. Certainly a problem of my English … Es ist alles halb so wild :)

Board footer