Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-08-06 01:56:22

chad

[issue] bug: password email doesn't send // php sendmail author godaddy

Really, really frustrating bug:

If the original publisher account does not have an email address assigned to it, textpattern will not send any password emails to OTHER authors, who have valid email addresses.

Textpattern said that it was sending the password emails whenever I reset the author password for new account. It was not actually sending them. Only after I put an email address in for my primary account would it send emails at all.

It’s possible that this bug effects any & all email that textpattern tries to send. It’s also possible that once you set up an email address for the original account, you can then clear it and email will still work afterwards, I have not tested this. It might even be possible that if any author’s email address is blank, it will cause this bug, again, I haven’t tested it.

I am using a godaddy hosting account for this install of textpattern.

PS. change the system of registering for the wiki, it needs to be automated.

http://therealtruth.info

#2 2006-08-06 02:16:59

zem
Developer Emeritus

Re: [issue] bug: password email doesn't send // php sendmail author godaddy

What’s your suggested fix?

Spam.

Alex

#3 2006-08-06 02:36:22

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

(Edit.)

TextBook forum. The wiki is managed by community volunteers, headed up by Destry.

Last edited by Mary (2006-08-06 02:59:56)

#4 2006-08-06 03:04:59

zem
Developer Emeritus

It looks like Textpattern is indeed sending the email, and your smtp server is accepting it for delivery. It’s being dropped some time after that, either by the outgoing mail server’s relay rules or by a spam filter somewhere along the way. (An empty email address isn’t the only trigger for this. Some hosts silently drop email if the from address doesn’t match the local domain).

There’s no way to detect an email failure that occurs after the message has been accepted for delivery. The best fix here seems to be to make the email address a required field on all txp_user accounts (I’m surprised it isn’t already).

Alex

#5 2006-08-07 17:30:35

chad

I did a little more homework on the bug. Textpattern is filling in the from field with the email address of whoever is triggering the password reset. A blank from field causes the message to be filtered somewhere between smtp & final delivery.

Requiring an email address is a good idea. Is there any procedure for entering this in a bug tracker, or have I done all I need to do already?

I started a new topic about the textbook registration here: http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=17849

#6 2006-08-07 17:34:00

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

…or have I done all I need to do already?

Yep.

If you’re interested in testing, this should be fixed in svn. :)

Board footer