Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-07-29 17:25:38

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Comment moderation off for logged in users

I had to turn on comment moderation for my sites, way too much spam nowadays.

What I don’t understand is why would a comment I enter on my own site would get sent to the moderation queue?

#2 2006-07-29 18:14:42

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Re: Comment moderation off for logged in users

The backend works completely indepedently from the public-side, so there is no login/cookie information available about whether you are logged in or not, hence no authentication. This has very real benefits when it comes to security (for example in the case of XSS-vulnerabilities on your public-site, it will not be possible to steal your login-information.

I have some code lying around (and IIRC I have posted it a few times for plugin authors to pick up) that adds an additonal distinct cookie in the backend, which is accessible from the front-end which can be used to authenticate users that have an account. It’ll find its way into core eventually.

In the meantime it’s a trivial task for a plugin-author to implement that, or go for the mildly simpler way of making a whitelist for special e-mail-adresses or websites or names, that pass through moderation.

Question: Are you using any anti-spam plugins?

#3 2006-07-29 18:35:18

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Sencer wrote:

The backend works completely indepedently from the public-side, so there is no login/cookie information available about whether you are logged in or not, hence no authentication.

Ok, I see now why a front end admin link wouldn’t be possible or even a status type of block let’s say.

Question: Are you using any anti-spam plugins?

No, but the spam is really trivial, a few messages here and there but I don’t want them to appear on the front end, makes the site look bad, like it’s not being looked after.

#4 2006-07-29 21:04:04

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

hcgtv wrote:

No, but the spam is really trivial, a few messages here and there

Well, the plugins are trivial to set up as well.
Stopdude and mrw_spamkeywords_urlcount have hidden every instance of spam and let through every valid comment for me.

#5 2006-07-29 21:18:23

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Sencer wrote:

Stopdude and mrw_spamkeywords_urlcount have hidden every instance of spam and let through every valid comment for me.

I’ll give them a try, thanks.

Board footer