Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-09-08 00:34:12

theLostShirt
Website

Re: Packt Publishing Open Source CMS awards

If I’m going for a cms, a would only considerd downloading drupal or joomla as the other just feel bland. Can’t fathom why anyone would even press the download link of the rest of them, do the masses crave boring, complex and old looking websites?

Textpattern does not have the most spicy hompage either, but at least it looks easy/smart and direct.

#14 2006-09-08 07:32:34

Ace of Dubs

This should definitely be taken with a grain of salt. “Most popular” doesn’t necessarily mean “best”. In my experience it is usually quite the contrary. People are often too lazy to find the best solution and often settle for what the next guy is using.

Having said that, I hope Drupal gets the prize

#15 2006-09-08 20:10:00

NyteOwl

I have to agre with Ace of DUbs. “popular” rarely has much relation with other terms like useful, quality, performance etc. – especially if it has lots of shiny “knobs and buttons”

Of theCMS finalists Plone is probably the most capable and versatile, albeit the most complicated and sharpest learning curve – which is why it isn’t as popular.

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination. / 36-bits Forever! / #include <disclaimer.h>;

#16 2006-09-18 19:27:43

kejonn

This has been a “flawed” concept for a contest. Sure, the winner will be awarded $5k – and that makes it serious – but think of the whole set-up:

“This is a $5,000 award presented to an open source Content Management System that has been voted ‘the best’ by an expert panel of judges and visitors to www.PacktPub.com.”

The key here is “and visitors” because the top 5 were obviously those with the most users. After all, how many people do you think voted for a system they don’t use but think is the best? All of the finalists have very large user bases so in the end popularity was the key. Thus you can pretty much throw away the rest of the contest for legitimacy because the “best” ones may not have made it into the final 5 so now the judges must pick the “best” of the most popular.

Last edited by kejonn (2006-09-18 19:35:09)

#17 2006-09-19 22:02:23

goncalo.dumas
Website

I’ve been using textpattern for a year now, an I can guarantee you, it’s the best I’ve ever used. It gives you fine grip on all aspects I think I will ever use.
I used drupal, joomla and xoops before knowing textpattern. In some of them I contributed with translations to Portuguese.
Drupal – my second choice after textpattern, lacks the separation between the administration side and the website himself.

Last edited by patchwork (2006-09-19 22:02:55)

#18 2006-11-16 23:11:27

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

#19 2006-11-17 11:57:18

Destry
Website

hcgtv wrote:

Joomla! Has been announced as the winner of the 2006 Open Source CMS Award with Drupal in second place and Plone finishing in third.

Yaaaawn… Typical, if this was the horse track, I could have won the trifecta. Like I’ve mentioned before (I think in the TXP Mag), it’s about product age, and product publications. With respect to the latter, all those systems have books published about them…don’t underestimate it, that draws a lot of user base outside of the core fanboys (and girls). When Txp has two or three books published about it (one on the way already from Nathan Smith and gang), it will go mainstream too. My prediction, anyway.

Last edited by Destry (2006-11-17 11:58:49)

#20 2006-11-17 16:15:15

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry, I hope those books have chapters on HTML and CSS ;)

I think the one thing holding Textpattern back is the lack of an easy mechanism to install themes. For the most part, those that use Textpattern are more designers by trade or by hobby, than regular web users.

#21 2006-11-17 17:33:51

soulship
Website

holding Textpattern back is the lack of an easy mechanism to install themes

I have to agree here. If someone could install – pick out the style they wanted and just start typing…

but wait!…wouldn’t that take all the fun away :)

#22 2006-11-17 17:46:49

maniqui
Website

For sure!

I don’t want to sound elitist… but I think that an easy mechanism to install them to easily run and go a TxP powered website could lead to… I better shut up because I dont know how to exactly express my idea in english and it’s very probably that what I want to express sounds bad…

The stepping learning curve of TxP is some kind of “filter” that has got its benefits and its disadvantages in keeping the slow (but good) growing of the community and the software itself…

Currently, there are many systems that let you install it, add a theme and go…
For an inexplicable reason, I won’t like that TxP becomes one of those systems…

I dont know if I explain myself correctly.. I really dont want to sound elitist or selfish…

Horses for courses…

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#23 2006-11-17 18:32:45

els

Maniquí, you just put into words – well, more or less ;) – the way I feel about Textpattern. So never mind if it will never reach a top three position wherever :)

#24 2006-11-17 19:49:55

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

soulship wrote:

This weekend marks the introduction of two new game systems, the Sony PS3 and the Nintendo Wii.

How would you like to crack open your PS3 or Wii boxes and find books with titles like 3D animation and 3D modeling with Maya that are required reading before you play your first game?

Or would you just like to play?

Board footer