Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-07-10 09:37:24

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

"New article" button

I often had the problem, that people using Textpattern overwrote existing article as they wanted to create a new one. There is simply no “create new article” thing on the write tab. What about introducing something like that?

#2 2006-07-10 11:46:11

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: "New article" button

I think you can do this using Mary’s own upm_savenew.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2006-07-10 11:47:39

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I know this plugin. But I think this is an issue that should be fixed in the core not via a plugin.

#4 2006-07-10 12:16:50

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

what about clicking “write” again which is what I do.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2006-07-10 12:27:54

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

That’s what I do, too. But it’s not what I would call “intuitive” ;)

#6 2006-07-10 12:28:57

hakjoon
Website

If the plugin works without any problems why the need to add it to the core?

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#7 2006-07-10 12:35:33

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

If the plugin works without any problems why the need to add it to the core?

For me it’s just a question of usability.
So I’ve got a counterquestion: Why should something that is reasonable, usefull and easy to do not be in the core?

#8 2006-07-10 13:50:29

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

I agree with skubidu, this seems more a case of “there’s something wrong in the way things currently work” than “i want something extra added to the functionality”. An option to create a new article should be present in a very clear intuitive way, without the need for a plugin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#9 2006-07-10 15:19:22

hakjoon
Website

kemie wrote:
An option to create a new article should be present in a very clear intuitive way, without the need for a plugin.

If the functionality works as expected does it really make a difference if it’s a plugin or not? I don’t have a need for a “Save New” button, so in order to accommodate that there is now a need for an extra admin side configuration to show it or not so it further complicates it.

I don’t disagree that this is a good feature but I don’t see what it being in the core vs being a plugin gains us. Various core features have gotten much less further development then plugins have (like the image tags).

The purpose of plugins is so everything does not have to be added to the core therefore making it larger and harder to maintain. Elements being kept discretely separate makes things easier to maintain. Never really understood the anti plugin bias. Every bit of functionality in Drupal is a plugin and people don’t really seem to have issues with that.

If the fear is that it will become un-maintained, even then someone can just as easily step up to take over it. I’ve helped troubleshoot some conflicts between bas_image_selector and upm_savenew when Mary was on sabbatical and neither are my plugins, but that’s what a community is for.

This is however just my opinion and I’m not in the dev team and don’t pretend to speak for them so it carries no weight what so ever. I will point everyone to Dean’s sticky on feature requests though where it states:

bq.. The features likely to be rejected or ignored are:
  • easily (and more sensibly) implemented as plugins

#10 2006-07-10 15:21:07

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I don’t have a need for a “Save New” button

I’m talking about a “Create New” button.

#11 2006-07-10 15:27:47

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

To clarify things:

• An author edits an article and saves it
  • After that he wants to start a new article
  • Now the problem starts: He overwrites the title, the body and the excerpt and hits “save” again

Now he’s got a new article but he deleted the old one at the same time because he couldn’t find a “create new” button. Sure you can just click on the write tab again, but not everybody links the word “write” with the action “create new”…

#12 2006-07-10 17:18:59

hakjoon
Website

ah that’s different then what I was thinking. Thanks for clarifying. Upm_savenew definitely does not do that, it’s more of a “Copy this article” button.

Although it could still easily be done with a plugin. All you need is a link or button that calls the write tab.

Do you have any samples of how other tools implement something like this? It seems that the process of staying on the write tab and clicking a “New Article” button while your old one is still there is also not the most intuitive behavior (but more intuitive then clicking the write tab). Most of the other tools I’ve used dump you in a Preview mode after hitting save. At which point you have to navigate to the create new entry tool.

What do people think of the Wordpress approach where it puts you in an empty write screen after you save? Better or more confusing? It does necessitate 2 save buttons which I’m not sure is good.

What if it put you in the articles tab after save? Better? Worse? Suffers from the same 2 save buttons problem as above.

Last edited by hakjoon (2006-07-10 17:24:35)

Board footer