Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-06-22 19:31:43

NikLP
Website

XML RPC TXP WTF? Please tell us more about this...

Am I alone in that I know nothing about how to use XML-RPC with TXP?

Somebody mentioned a Flickr/TXP simultaneous posting combination, but nobody has mentioned how any of this can be achieved.

How about some basic ideas of what TXP users can achieve with this new functionality, and how they can go about them?

TIA

#2 2006-06-22 19:52:21

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Re: XML RPC TXP WTF? Please tell us more about this...

Well, the instructions for installing XMLRPC are pretty clear, I think, so that part shouldn’t give you too much problems. (Otherwise feel free to ask).

As for what you can do with it: You can either look for desktop-clients, e.g. by googling, which will tell you how to use them. Or if you are interested in using websites that offer such capability you can take a peek in their documentation. For example Flickr explains you how to do it here:
http://www.flickr.com/help/blogging/#55 in the FAQ.

Personally, I don’t find it all that exciting (though nice to have), so I am sure other people will chime in and give you more of a sales pitch ;)

#3 2006-06-22 20:15:29

NikLP
Website

Hm, installation was no trouble at all, rightly said.

However, I can’t actually see the point. If you need an internet connection to write to your blog anyway via RPC, why not just use the TXP interface? Obviously there are clear examples of why this needs to exist, but what’s the point of writing the software if no-one knows anything about how to use it? What CAN we use it for that’s useful?

A search on the forums for RPC reveals very little. Also, the flickr page does not offer TXP compatibility, so what’s the alternative?

I have installed Performancing for Firefox, but this doesn’t seem to want to play with TXP.

If everyone’s going nuts about this new functionality, why hasn’t anyone said why it’s so cool, and what it can do? Confusing…

#4 2006-06-22 21:01:38

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Have you looked at w.bloggar?

#5 2006-06-22 22:26:30

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Flickr and Performancing work with Textpattern.

For flickr one obvious benefit is the moblogging functionality they mention. ou can have a blog-entry+photo appear on your site by simply sending an email.
Desktop-clients are popular with some people, maybe because they can post to multiple blogs/software without having to learn/navigate different interfaces; a crash is less likely; etc. Obviously the weight of those benefits are very subjective. Try it out, if you like it, nice, if not, don’t worry about it, there is no secret information you are missing that makes it super-attractive. ;)

#6 2006-06-22 22:53:29

NikLP
Website

How the hell do you integrate txp with Performancing then? I’ve tried all sorts…

#7 2006-06-22 23:30:18

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

Am I alone in that I know nothing about how to use XML-RPC with TXP?

You aren’t alone, but you certainly seem to be the most agitated.

#8 2006-06-22 23:37:07

NikLP
Website

Thanks for that helpful remark. Seems more like a pointless flame from here.

I merely find it slightly bemusing that there is a high level of excitement surround the release of the functionality with a seeming non-existence of any hearsay, examples or documentation. Web 2.0 anyone?

That shoved brusquely aside, what is a good resource to look at that would tempt the TXP user into clinging onto this new functionality for dear life?

Last edited by NikLP (2006-06-22 23:37:25)

#9 2006-06-23 00:01:20

Elenita
Website

NikLP, you may not see the point of using XML-RPC with Textpattern, and that’s fine. But there are also some, myself included, who prefer to not use the backend to write and are excited about the possibilities that mixing media that this RPC allows. Some of us have asked for this, waited for it, and are excited about using it. If you don’t see the point, you’re not obliged to use it—it’s certainly not included in the core. But please don’t disparage the effort of those who worked hard to make it work or dismiss it just because you don’t see a use for it.

As for a resource, Google is always available. Among other things, it would have led you to <a href=“http://davenet.scripting.com/1998/07/14/xmlRpcForNewbies”>XML-RPC for Newbies</a>.

#10 2006-06-23 00:02:45

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Let’s keep things civil, shall we.

XML-RPC blogging support is not a new concept, it’s been around for years. It’s just new to Textpattern, a feature which has been requested many times. WordPress, Movable Type, they have it. Hence, no one felt the need to explain what it is.

One popular advantage of using a desktop client is being able to compose your post offline until it’s just how you want, then quickly and easily post it with a click or two.

Regarding Performancing…

#11 2006-06-23 00:10:43

NikLP
Website

Wow, I love it how much people always take me out of context.

My point is, if everyone is so happy about TXP supporting RPC (which by the way I understand and appreciate), where are all the new sites/examples/mashups etc that I would normally expect from Textpattern users? It is the lack of this material that has prompted my confusion on the matter.

Any technical aspects of this are purely related to TXP’s integration with RPC. I’ve never used RPC for anything, so hopefully I can be forgiven for a level of ignorance on the subject. When dealing with several new things at a time (Flickr, RPC and TXP integration for [a probably poor] example) I always like to get solid examples of what I’m actually going to be doing, rather than spend several hours/days/weeks reading on the component matters individually. Hopefully this isn’t a bad idea. Hence I’m curious, why no “look what I’ve done!” stuff on here as yet?

Nobody was having a dig at anything (apart from at me, it seems).

#12 2006-06-23 00:19:42

Elenita
Website

Fair enough, NikLP. I apologize for being snide.

As for why there are no “I’ve done this!” with XML-RPC, part of the reason is that the protocol itself is designed to be unseen. You can post locally from your desktop to your blog (from a desktop client, or a <a href=“http://macromates.com/blog/archives/2006/06/19/blogging-from-textmate/”>text editor (example within)</a> or pull content from other sites, but the RPC itself doesn’t draw attention to itself. You’re never supposed to know that it was involved, so it’s hard to go “see, that’s what it does.”

Board footer