Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-04-01 18:08:25

Nichod

[request] TextCart.

I think it should be realized by all that TXP is no longer a dedicated piece of blogging software. Its much more and should be catergorized as a CMS or somewhere inbetween. I’m posting this here rather than elsewhere because I want it to get the best views by those who might take up the mantle.

With that in mind, the one thing I am missing is a decent, simple commerce ability. Now something more than paypal buttons or my implementation is required. Multiply payment methods would be required (verisign, etc), storage of customer information, sales, etc. I have two more jobs in which I wish I could use TXP in, for its simplicity and power, but without more advanced functionality this is not possible. With that in mind….

This is how I envision it being setup.

In the advanced menu would be additional custom fields under a store heading in which product pricing, and options could be input. Pages would still be used to layout the store page and its own seperate section would be required. The sections for the store would have a checkbox to enable the section as a store section. No category would be required as the sections would act as categories. Also, a download input would be available in which a number would be entered corresponding to the download ID of the file the customer is purchasing. Upon purchase and payment completion the customer would be emailed the link to the download. If no download was available or if you were working through other means of delivery, a plain email could also be sent.

The store will need its own tab to give access to activating the various payment gateways, viewing customer info and anything else that is found necessary. This could be placed into admin-store as well.

I see a few tags would be required:
<code>
<txp:store />
</code>
This tag would act as the “article” tag for the store. It would have the same functions as the article tag but would link to the articles that are published using sections enabled as a part of the store. Not sure if implementing it this way would be best, but its a suggestion.
<code>
<txp:store_image />
</code>
This tag would act as the same as the “article image” tag does only referencing the image in the input for the store articles. This might be able to be bypassed, simply by using one of the built in tags.

With all this to consider, how can we get this started? I propose we start a fundraising drive. A massive ransom. I’m willing to start out the ransom at $50 if others are willing to join in and contribute. Perhaps we can give enough incentive to get someone working on this.

#2 2006-04-01 18:26:48

akokskis
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [request] TextCart.

I think it’s a good idea, but I can’t even imagine the amount of complexity that this type of a project would have to entail. eCommerce isn’t exactly the simplest thing to program, and keeping it all secure can be quite an ordeal. Also, I feel like taking the official branch of txp and adding a store section to it, while quite cool and fancy, would kind of be taking away from what txp is, in my opinion.

I think that more of the way to go here would be through plugins or hacks. I really couldn’t tell which though, as I’ve no idea how one would actually implement an eCommerce site.

My Photoblog, and my personal site. Got nav? ako_nav.
Thanks for taking the time to look…

— vc3 —

#3 2006-04-01 19:30:09

Nichod

Ahh. A discouraging reply already. I had hoped I’d get one encouraging reply first. Personally I think adding this would just enhance what TXP is. Give more options and abilities. I don’t think it would hurt what TXP is at all.

If it takes more incentive. I’ll up my contribution to $100 along with anyone else who is willing.

#4 2006-04-01 20:21:56

akokskis
Plugin Author
Website

I didn’t intend my reply to come off as discouraging – I do think that this would be a great idea. I just feel that it would be something more suited towards being part of a plugin rather than to be included in the core.

My Photoblog, and my personal site. Got nav? ako_nav.
Thanks for taking the time to look…

— vc3 —

#5 2006-04-01 20:33:45

Nichod

The problem would be that a plugin wouldn’t give you the readouts, etc that a site would need to function as a true e-commerce site.

#6 2006-04-01 20:38:38

KurtRaschke
Plugin Author

Maybe elements would help?

-Kurt

kurt@kurtraschke.com

#7 2006-04-01 20:45:47

Nichod

Not sure. From what I read of it, it seems to be limited to existing parts of the core just being extracted to be more modular. Not sure if it allows adding. I think it would still require adding to the core. But someone correct me if I’m wrong.

#8 2006-04-01 20:59:32

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I found that article I mentioned to you from Rob (wilshire), but looking at what he has done it would seem he has turned a script into a plug-in. Whether he would want to share that is another matter but I don’t think it is exactly what you are after. Having said that he has combined quite a bit into that site.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#9 2006-04-01 21:12:16

Nichod

bombsite-I know. My issue is that a lot of people don’t use or like to use paypal.

I’ve found a few interesting scripts. I’m going to experiment with one of them. I’ll get back to you all. I’d be willing for someone to make this a plugin, but it would be nice to have the power of TXP managing the whole store.

Anyway. Here are some scripts:

http://cosmicphp.com/freescripts_cosmicshoppingcart.php
http://www.cpcommerce.org/

Last edited by Nichod (2006-04-01 21:46:41)

#10 2006-04-01 22:52:33

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Q:

• What’s wrong with categories? Why would you turn down a method to cluster your goods? I’d rather add more of them.
  • What would that <txp:store /> tag do that a common
<txp:if_section name="store,shop,cart" /><txp:article /></txp:if_section>

would not achieve as well?

Last edited by wet (2006-04-01 22:53:22)

#11 2006-04-01 23:05:12

Nichod

I was trying to think of a method that would more seperate the store products from articles that was a bit stronger than categories. I suppose if you really wanted too you could use categories. My idea was that when you specified a section for a group of products you’d check mark that section as linking into the store framework.

Again. Trying to seperate the store from the written content. Its just a means of making the seperation stronger and the store tag could add functionality that the article tag doesn’t.

All of this is just theory and ideas anyway. As it seems people want ecommerce in TXP but no one is willing to push it to the next level and don’t want to include it in the “core”. Which is odd, because it seems with the modular setup of core elements if people didn’t want a store setup included with there TXP they could simply turn it off. If there was some interest from someone, I’m sure that a hefty ransom could be collected. I’ll continue this thread and throw around ideas. And attempt to take apart a few scripts and see what I can do, but I don’t do php really.

#12 2006-04-01 23:17:24

Nichod

Anyway. Thought I’d post up a list of Payment Gateways that should/could be included:

Paypal
Worldpay
NoChek
Authorize.net
2checkout
ezpay

I see the payment gateways as a good point for plugins.

Board footer