Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-02-18 10:02:59

Destry
Website

ATAG Measure?

The current standard by which to measure any authoring tool’s accessibility compliance is ATAG 1.0, but the WAI is expected to announce 2.0 sometime in 2006.

1. How does TxP measure up to the ATAG at this point?
  2. Has there been consideration/interest in making a valid claim?

#2 2006-04-05 09:35:55

Destry
Website

Re: ATAG Measure?

It’s articles like this one that got me inquiring to begin with.

I am not saying Txp is in that category, I know it’s not (admin side excluded, and despite the kinks we yet face with using Textile), but it seems publishing systems are getting harder looks all the time by the Web standards advocates (likely because publishing systems are becoming like fast food options). A valid claim would be…interesting, if not completely beneficial.

What am I overlooking?

#3 2006-04-06 00:52:24

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

With what basis do you make a claim? The default templates?

#4 2006-04-06 01:03:24

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

I think it’s the creep of featuritis that has ruined many systems.

Users want more, at least that’s the marketing consensus, so developers start creating widgets for the underlying core. While in actuality users just want what was originally delivered to work for them.

With these new features, users start experimenting with them in lieu of getting their work done. These widgets get placed on a page without regard to the structure of the page, thus breaking standards. Many users are not web savvy enough and end up producing pages that render horribly.

The simplest method to convey your thoughts is with a pencil and paper. There is no right-click on the eraser, you can’t drag and drop on a piece of paper. Simple is is not so much as being overlooked, I believe it’s being mauled.

#5 2006-04-07 20:23:35

Destry
Website

Mary wrote:

With what basis do you make a claim? The default templates?

As far as I can tell, there’s seven Guidelines for making a claim, with various numbers of checkpoints (many having “Priority 1” status) for each one. Guidelines range from the compliancy of generated text (i.e., content output from the authoring panel) to the accessibility of the interface’s Help information. Templates would be a shoe-in for a guideline, but in Txp’s case not an issue.

For kicks it might be interesting to start a working draft of a Valid Claim in TextBook, just to see where it measures up. Start by Listing out the Guidelines and Checkpoints and then responding to them in linear fashion. Not too tough. If it ever shined, Dean or Alex or whomever could give it the stamp of send-off, which is a requirement. (Yeah, I know, as if anyone has time to actually write anything.)

#6 2006-07-04 09:44:38

Destry
Website

Certainly you all know who Joe Clark is…well, he did an ATAG evaluation of WordPress not too far back, and who knows, it could be a matter of time before somebody like Joe has a look at Textpattern under the same glass. I think it would be interesting, maybe we should invite him to do it.

Last edited by Destry (2006-07-04 10:06:48)

Board footer