Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-02-13 16:37:33

Elenita
Website

Textpattern Group at Ma.gnolia

If there’s anyone here with a Ma.gnolia account, I just created a group for Textpattern users. I know that the depth of my imagination will shock you, but it’s called Textpattern.

And in case you have no idea what I’m talking about, check out the <a href=“http://www.ma.gnolia.com”>the Ma.gnolia website</a>.

#2 2006-02-13 17:57:02

alexandra

Re: Textpattern Group at Ma.gnolia

Hi Elenita, just subscribed to your group, my screenname is ‘simsa’.
Did you already generate a Magnolian Linkroll? Wonder if they work propperly as i like to move from del.icio.us to Magnolia. I have had so much trouble with Del.icio.us linkrolls within the past 2 month …

#3 2006-02-13 19:00:33

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

so… how does one get to beta test it? I’ve entered my email a couple of weeks ago but received no response

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2006-02-13 19:09:45

alexandra

@colak
Magnolia is just about to go ‘live’ – betatesting seems to be over. No worries, you did really not miss anything spectacular. Magnolia has a much nicer interface than del.icio.us … and thats already about all …

I just tested their Linkroll and that does not satisfy me as one has to accept the title:
Marked in Magnolia which can not be placed somewhere else than on the very top of the list… btw they (only) generate 20 items per list

And: Magnolia has not offered an API yet.

And: no bookmarklett for Opera 8+

Last edited by alexandra (2006-02-13 20:17:45)

#5 2006-02-13 20:27:58

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

> alexandra wrote:

> Magnolia has a much nicer interface than del.icio.us … and thats already about all …

I have been following the whole social bookmarking thing for the last couple of weeks. Add magnolia to the list along with plum and kaboodle and all the other would-be del.icio.us killers. I just haven’t found one yet that I liked well enough to suck me in.

#6 2006-02-13 20:52:57

Elenita
Website

Alex, I just tried out the Magnolia-generated linkroll, and I’m sticking with del.icio.us and the txp.icio.us plugin for the time being. I didn’t appreciate the assumption that I’d want to use a dictionary list. Given their target audience, it’s perhaps understandable. But I still don’t like it.

<blockquote>as one has to accept the title: Marked in Magnolia</blockquote>

Actually, you can change the title and the CSS. But the html markup and the number of items—you’re stuck with those.

Honestly, it’s the lack of an API that stops me from switching. Again, I know it’s not for geeks (although, really, if I sat down at a table of geeks, I’d be the idiot), but without an API there can be no <a href=“http://www.scifihifi.com/cocoalicious/”>Cocoalicious</a>. And if there is no Cocoalicious, there can be no posting (and searching) from the desktop. And that’s just wrong.

Besides, the service is awfully slow.

#7 2006-02-13 21:14:20

alexandra

Yeah, the targeted audience of magnolia is completely different than the one of del.icio.us. The average webuser will probably be very happy with magnolia i suppose…

#8 2006-02-13 22:07:33

Elenita
Website

Alex, since you’re online at the moment, did you get my reply to your email yesterday?

And yes—Gnolia systems does seem to know their audience well. It just irritates me that they can’t also accommodate the more experienced users at the same time. It’s not like they need to plaster the API everywhere; all I’m asking is that there is one.

Last edited by Elenita (2006-02-13 22:09:53)

#9 2006-02-13 22:12:30

alexandra

Elenita,
yes thank you very much. I was faster than the programmer :) so i could not send the link yet. I mailed 10 advanced TX users who did all reply. thx!
No worries El, we do not need geeks just a couple testers from various places around the world and of course from NYC ;) i´ll reply soon…

Last edited by alexandra (2006-02-13 22:20:05)

#10 2006-02-14 03:26:26

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I signed up on the e-mail list this afternoon and had an invite waiting when I got back online tonight. So they do seem to be moving.

#11 2006-02-27 18:02:08

smallTransport

Is anyone privy to a way to encorporate links from their Ma.gnolia account into their textpattern site? In a perfect world, i would feed the “Daily Bits” bit on my site from Ma.gnolia.

Last edited by smallTransport (2006-02-27 18:02:45)

#12 2006-02-27 22:09:30

Elenita
Website

sT, I need some more info to be clear on what you’re asking.

If by “incorporate”, you mean display the last n links l(ike I do with my del.icio.us links on <a href=“http://www.penumbrae.com”>the front page of my website</a>): yes, you can do that. The linkroll feature is designed specifically for that purpose.

If you mean create a new article that you can permanently link to: no, that’s not possible right now, and won’t be until the Ma.gnolia people release an API. That’s one of the many reasons why we’re griping about the lack of one.

Board footer