Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-02-03 19:42:26

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Identical Post Titles and the URL-only Title

It might just be my memory having a mid-life crisis but I seem to recall that if you used an identical title for a new post to one that already exists, then apart from the little warning message that is displayed when saving, the URL-only Title field would be incremented, that is, it would have a “2” added to the end and presumably a “3” “4” or “5” if you repeated the title further. Has this behaviour changed or is there a bug about? Or is it me. You can be honest. I can take it. I’m a man you know. ;)

Or would it make a good feature request?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#2 2006-02-05 13:57:32

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: Identical Post Titles and the URL-only Title

Any ideas on this? Is my memory failing? Has the behaviour been modified? Is it a bug? Is it a feature request?

Answers on a postcard to….

Last edited by thebombsite (2006-02-05 13:57:51)

Stuart

#3 2006-02-05 19:32:38

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Yep, your memory is failing. ;) I am prett sure, because I was the one who added the warning (previously it would silently create a duplicate post-title, because earlier versions of textpattern always had the ID of the article in the url).

#4 2006-02-05 19:43:07

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well my memory was the more likely choice. :) Is it possible to increment the URL-only title at all or isn’t this a good option?

Stuart

#5 2006-02-05 22:00:06

Jeremie
Website

The better option would be to display a warning, and give the url-title focus and display toward the user.

But incrementing the url-title might be another solution yes, if the warning stay in place.

#6 2006-02-06 10:25:17

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well of course, with the current warning I can increment the URL-only title myself, but I’m thinking more in terms of an installation for a client where you might not want them to be messing with that field, assuming they understood what you were talking about in the first place.

And it seems this is more of a feature request now, so if anyone wants to move the thread…

Stuart

#7 2006-02-06 19:05:25

cap_nemo
Website

This problem really only exists when the perma link mode is “/section/title”. So maybe it would only add an auto-icrement to the end of the url if that was the current perma link mode.

Anyone have any ideas for a temporary fix to this problem without having the user mess with that field, like Stuart mentioned?

Last edited by cap_nemo (2006-02-06 19:09:24)

Board footer