Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-12-31 18:48:47

FireFusion

Host migration tool

I don’t know if this is possible at all, but here goes… Most of us end up moving host from time to time and it can be a long and painful business. If you have lots of sites to move it’s even worse. I was wondering if a plugin couldn’t be made to make it a little easier.

It would be like that database manager plugin. It would make a SQL backup but before hand it would get you to fill in a few boxes on the new location, database name etc. Basically anything that needs to be changed; perhaps you could even state the new SQL version. It would make all the changes a give you a SQL backup reflecting them. So that moving host would be a simple matter of uploading the backup.

#2 2006-01-01 16:28:04

RenJonsin
Website

Re: Host migration tool

I just used the database manager plugin to do just what you wanted to do. I installed a new instance of textpattern on the new server, setup the sql database using the same prefix then installed the database manager plugin into the new site.

Then I transferred the gzipped file that I downloaded from my original site and into the folder indicated in the Backup Path that the database manager plugin setup for the new site. I went to the db backup tab and clicked on restore on the file that I wanted to import.

Everything, including the plugins that were on the old site, transfered over. You have to go to the admin site and change all the settings to your new site address and also you may need to change some of your plugin settings that, like the database manager, need to have folders set.

I only did this to test if it would work. Once I figured it did, I clicked on the database restore for my old setup on the site and it was back to the way it originally was.

Board footer